Calculate Initial Speed Driving on a Crowded Freeway

In summary: After increasing speed by 4.5 mph, it took 9 fewer seconds to travel 1 mile. So the final speed is 4.5 + 9 = 13.5 mph.
Robb380
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.5 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 9 s. What was your original speed?

I've been working on this for 2 hours, I can't seem to get the formula right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Robb380! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I've decided that the v=d/t is not the way to go and that (vi) initial velocity is vi- 4.5mph=vf or final velocity (vf) = vi + 4.5 mph. and the time is t-9. going 1 mile gives me
initial distance= 0
final distance= 1
initial velocity(vi)= vf-4.5 mph
final velocity(vf)= vi+4.5
time for (vi) mph= t
time for (vf) mph=t-9
What i can't seem to do is find an equation that can help me find the initial velocity. I've tried different ones but they don't see to fit well, I am thinking i can solve for t and from there find (vi) but I am not sure how

First of all, I suggest you convert your speeds to common units. You have speed in miles per hour and time in seconds. A better approach would be to convert the change in speed, 4.5 mph, to the equivalent speed in feet per second.

You know that at your original speed, it took ti seconds to travel 1 mile, or 5280 feet. After increasing speed by 4.5 mph, it took 9 fewer seconds to travel 1 mile. Think you can work out the original speed now?

Not really because I don't have a formula to use to solve for anything, i tried a binomial equation but that came out wrong, I retraced to see if I wasn't converting the units but I was, I tried putting everything into miles per second but I keep getting stuck when trying to solve for t so that I can solve for (vi). What I need is to figure out is how to get either (ti), (vi), or i might need both

It's a simple problem to set up. The only formula you need is v = d / t and a little algebra.

Hi Robb380! :smile:
Robb380 said:
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next.

So the initial speed is obviously 1/t mph, isn't it? :wink:

Carry on from there …

what do you get? :smile:

Last edited:
Robb380 said:
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Robb380! :smile:

So the initial speed is obviously t mph, isn't it? :wink:
Assuming that t is measured in hours.

What is the formula for calculating initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway?

The formula for calculating initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway is: initial speed = final speed - (acceleration x time). This equation takes into account the final speed you want to reach, the acceleration of your vehicle, and the amount of time it takes to reach the final speed.

Why is it important to calculate initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway?

It is important to calculate initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway because it helps you determine how much time and distance you need to safely merge into traffic. It also allows you to adjust your speed accordingly in order to maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles.

What factors can affect initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway?

Several factors can affect initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway, including the speed limit, the density of traffic, the type of vehicle you are driving, and the condition of the road. Additionally, weather conditions such as rain or snow can also impact initial speed.

Can initial speed be calculated while driving on a crowded freeway?

Yes, initial speed can be calculated while driving on a crowded freeway. However, it is important to remember to always keep your eyes on the road and practice safe driving habits. Using a calculator or other device while driving can be distracting and dangerous.

Are there any tools or resources available to help calculate initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help calculate initial speed when driving on a crowded freeway. Many cars have built-in speedometers and other features that can assist with calculating initial speed. There are also smartphone apps and online calculators that can be used to determine initial speed based on various factors such as acceleration and time.