1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find initial velocity

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    I can't figure this one out! Please help!

You are standing on the edge of a ravine that is 15 m wide. You notice a cave on the opposite wall whose ceiling is 7.9 m below your feet. The cave is 5.8 m deep and has a vertical back wall. You decide to kick a rock across the ravine into the cave. Acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. 1)What initial horizontal velocity must you give the rock so that the rock barely misses the overhang?
    2) How far down the back wall of the cave will the projectile hit?

Please help! THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You must show some effort in solving the problem before we will help you. What have you tried so far? What equations might you use? Show us your work.

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    well this is what i am thinking so far..because it is looking for initial velocity, i started off with the equation: x=vox *t and you are looking for vox=x/t. time is square root of 2y/g. and to plug in the the time into the vox equation given above. i am not sure if this is even remotely correct..

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Sounds OK. So what did you get for an answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?