Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find intersection point between a ray and a face?

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1
    I have a 3D polygon and a ray! Please tell me how can I know if they intersect together and how to find intersection point between them? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

HOW are you given them?? If you are given their equations, then the equation of the plane should be something like: Ax+ By+ Cz= d while the ray would be given by parametric equations- x= at+ b, y= ct+ d, z= et+ f with t>= 0, say.
    Put those equations for x, y, z, in terms of t, into the equation of the plane and solve the equation for t. If t>= 0, put it into the equations for the ray to find (x,y,z). If t<0 then the ray does not go through the plane- it goes the "away from" the plane.

(It is possible that the coefficient of t in the final equation will be 0. In that case the ray is parallel to the plane.)

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3
    Incase I have 3 points define a triangle (x1,y1,z1),(x2,y2,z2),(x3,y3,z3). And 2 points define a ray (xr1,yr1,zr1),(xr2,yr2,zr2). Could you tell me how can I check if that ray go through that triangle and the intersection point if they have? And more, if you could, please show me the best formular for that!

Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?