1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find interval of X

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2sin2x + 3sinx - 2>0 and x2 - x - 2 < 0 . x lies in the interval

A)∏/6 to 5∏6
    B)-1 to 5∏/6
    C)-1 to 2
    D) ∏/6 to 2

Correct Answer is D, and I get C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I factorized the second equation and obtained (x+1)(x-2)<0
    So this, on drawing a number line, shows that x lies between -1 and 2, both excluded.

Next, I factorized the first equation, which gave me (2sinx-1)(sinx+2)>0
    Plotting on a number line, sin x is either less than -2 or greater than 1/2. Former is not possible.
    That indicates that x lies between ∏/6 (=approx 0.523) and 5∏/6 (= approx 2.61), and all periodic repetitions of those two angles, as sin x is only greater than 1/2 for those values in between.

So the intersection of the first equation's number line( from -1 to 2) and this equations number line( from 0.523 to 2.61), gives me -1 to 2. This is apparently wrong, according to the answer in the book, which is ∏/6 to 2.

I'm rather tired, so I can't wrap my head around any stupid mistakes. Please do help :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct so far.

Also correct.

No, that gives you ##(\frac \pi 6, 2)##. The values of ##x## must be in both solution sets so anything less than ##\frac \pi 6## or greater than ##2## doesn't work.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3
    Wow. That was dumb of me.
    Thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted