Solve Interval of X Homework Equation

• Thread starter PhysicsKid703
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the correct answer is D, which is ∏/6 to 2, as the values of x must be in both solution sets, and anything less than ∏/6 or greater than 2 does not work. The intersection of the first equation's number line (from -1 to 2) and the second equation's number line (from ∏/6 to 5∏/6) gives the correct solution set.
PhysicsKid703

Homework Statement

2sin2x + 3sinx - 2>0 and x2 - x - 2 < 0 . x lies in the interval

A)∏/6 to 5∏6
B)-1 to 5∏/6
C)-1 to 2
D) ∏/6 to 2

Correct Answer is D, and I get C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I factorized the second equation and obtained (x+1)(x-2)<0
So this, on drawing a number line, shows that x lies between -1 and 2, both excluded.

Next, I factorized the first equation, which gave me (2sinx-1)(sinx+2)>0
Plotting on a number line, sin x is either less than -2 or greater than 1/2. Former is not possible.
That indicates that x lies between ∏/6 (=approx 0.523) and 5∏/6 (= approx 2.61), and all periodic repetitions of those two angles, as sin x is only greater than 1/2 for those values in between.

So the intersection of the first equation's number line( from -1 to 2) and this equations number line( from 0.523 to 2.61), gives me -1 to 2. This is apparently wrong, according to the answer in the book, which is ∏/6 to 2.

I'm rather tired, so I can't wrap my head around any stupid mistakes. Please do help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsKid703 said:

Homework Statement

2sin2x + 3sinx - 2>0 and x2 - x - 2 < 0 . x lies in the interval

A)∏/6 to 5∏6
B)-1 to 5∏/6
C)-1 to 2
D) ∏/6 to 2

Correct Answer is D, and I get C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I factorized the second equation and obtained (x+1)(x-2)<0
So this, on drawing a number line, shows that x lies between -1 and 2, both excluded.

Correct so far.

Next, I factorized the first equation, which gave me (2sinx-1)(sinx+2)>0
Plotting on a number line, sin x is either less than -2 or greater than 1/2. Former is not possible.
That indicates that x lies between ∏/6 (=approx 0.523) and 5∏/6 (= approx 2.61), and all periodic repetitions of those two angles, as sin x is only greater than 1/2 for those values in between.

Also correct.

So the intersection of the first equation's number line( from -1 to 2) and this equations number line( from 0.523 to 2.61), gives me -1 to 2.

No, that gives you ##(\frac \pi 6, 2)##. The values of ##x## must be in both solution sets so anything less than ##\frac \pi 6## or greater than ##2## doesn't work.

Wow. That was dumb of me.
Thanks so much.

1. What is an interval in mathematics?

An interval in mathematics refers to a range of values between two endpoints. It can be represented in a variety of ways, such as using inequality symbols or interval notation. Intervals are commonly used to express solutions to equations or inequalities.

2. How do I solve for the interval of x in a homework equation?

To solve for the interval of x in a homework equation, you first need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the properties of inequalities to determine the range of values for x. Remember to check if the inequality is inclusive or exclusive of the endpoints, and always double check your solution by plugging in values for x.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed interval?

An open interval does not include the endpoints, while a closed interval does include the endpoints. For example, the open interval (0, 5) includes all real numbers between 0 and 5, but not 0 or 5. On the other hand, the closed interval [0, 5] includes all real numbers between 0 and 5, including 0 and 5.

4. Can I use interval notation to represent an infinite interval?

Yes, you can use interval notation to represent an infinite interval. For example, the interval (-∞, 5) represents all real numbers less than 5, while the interval (0, ∞) represents all real numbers greater than 0.

5. Is it necessary to graph the interval of x in a homework equation?

No, it is not always necessary to graph the interval of x in a homework equation. However, graphing can be a helpful way to visually understand the solution and check your work. It is important to remember that the graph of an interval includes all real numbers within the range, but not the endpoints unless specified.