Finding Concavity of y = Integral from x to 0

• Thread starter powp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Fundamenta Theorem of Calculus? (This is what Bobg was doing.) Knowing that, what is the derivative of \int_x^a f(t)dt? (This is what Bobg should have done!)
powp
Hello
How do I do the following
Find the interval on which the curve
[tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{1}{1 + t + t^2} dt[/tex]
is concave upward.

any help would be great.

P

Just in case Latex does not show up
x
Large S 1/1(1 + t + t^2) dt

Physics news on Phys.org
When, in general, is some function f concave upwards?

I believe a function f should be concave upward when f''(c) > 0. Am I correct. Don't have my textbook on me.

powp said:
I believe a function f should be concave upward when f''(c) > 0. Am I correct. Don't have my textbook on me.
Correct.

Now, if the function f (t) is [tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{1}{1 + t + t^2} dt[/tex], then what's f'(t). (This is very easy).

Finding f''(t) is a little harder. Once found set it up as an inequality and solve.

f' is (x)[tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{-1-2t}{(1 + t + t^2)^2}[/tex]

f'' would then be
[tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{-1 + 2t + 2t^2}{(1 + t + t^2)^4} dt[/tex]

is this correct??

How do I solve an inequality that is this complex(it is complex to me)?? I am really not sure about this.

powp said:
f' is (x)[tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{-1-2t}{(1 + t + t^2)^2}[/tex]
f'' would then be
[tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{-1 + 2t + 2t^2}{(1 + t + t^2)^4} dt[/tex]
is this correct??
How do I solve an inequality that is this complex(it is complex to me)?? I am really not sure about this.
The integral is also called the anti-derivative, so the derivative of [tex]y = \int_x^0 \frac{1}{1 + t + t^2} dt[/tex]
is just:
[tex]f'(t)= \frac{1}{1 + t + t^2} [/tex]

So your second derivative is just:
[tex]f''(t) =\frac{-1-2t}{(1 + t + t^2)^2}[/tex]

Not quite BobG, think about where the x is and what your actually differentiating.

anybody with some guidence?

powp said:
anybody with some guidence?
Erm, you've been given loads and loads, what have you done with what you have been given?

"Fundamental Theorem of Calculus"!

What is the derivative of [tex]\int_a^x f(t)dt[/tex] according to the Fundamenta Theorem of Calculus? (This is what Bobg was doing.)

Knowing that, what is the derivative of [tex]\int_x^a f(t)dt[/tex]? (This is what Bobg should have done!)

What is the derivative of [tex]\int_x^a f(t)dt[/tex]

1. How do you find the concavity of y = Integral from x to 0?

To find the concavity of y = Integral from x to 0, you first need to take the derivative of the given integral. Then, you can use the second derivative test or the concavity test to determine the concavity of the function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up, and if the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down.

2. What is the difference between concave up and concave down?

Concave up and concave down refer to the shape of a graph. A function is concave up if it curves upward, like a smiley face, and concave down if it curves downward, like a frowny face. This can be determined by looking at the sign of the second derivative of the function.

3. Can a function be both concave up and concave down?

No, a function cannot be both concave up and concave down at the same time. The concavity of a function can change at different points, but at any given point, the function will only have one concavity.

4. How do you use the concavity test to determine concavity?

The concavity test states that if the second derivative of a function is positive, the function is concave up, and if the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down. This means that you can simply take the second derivative of the given function and see if it is positive or negative to determine concavity.

5. Can the concavity of a function change at multiple points?

Yes, the concavity of a function can change at multiple points. This can be seen on a graph as the function curves in different directions. The points where the concavity changes are called inflection points.