1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find inverse function

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a.)y=sqrt(2^x -1) . I tried:

b.)y=log(sqrt(2^x -2)) and

c.)y=log^3 (2-sqrt(x)).
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    x=sqrt(2^y -1)

x^2 = 2^y -1

2^y = x^2 +1

y=log2(x^2 +1)

y=2 log2(x+1) is that correct result?

regarding b and c I am just lost :/. Will appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What are the domains and codomains of those functions? This is quite important.

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3
    x e R a.) x>=0 b.)x>1 c.) 0<=x<4.
    I had wrongly formated question before, lost few ^symbols while posting, should be fixed now.

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well maybe you have not sorted the actual writing yet. If a is the question, you seem to have just interchanged x and y for no reason. Then squaring both sides is the right idea, but after that check your reasoning. We'll need to see it written out properly to comment more.

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello IDontKnow430, Welcome to PF.

In the future: Please include a complete statement of your problem in the body of your Originating Post, no matter what you state in the title.

It the domains you list in post #3 does make these functions one-to-one. That's good and necessary if they are to have an inverse.

You should determine the range for each of the given functions. That will help you to find domains for the inverse functions which make them one-to-one.

The last step in your attempt with part (a) is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted