Find Inverse of a Function Y=X2-X, X≥1/2

In summary: I've been told I'll have to use this method a lot when I get to calculus, and that I'll have to be really good at it. :/But I'll keep what you said in mind when I get to calculus. I'm sure it'll be more clear then.Thanks for the help everyone!In summary, the equation y = x^2 - x can be rearranged to x = y^2 - y. By completing the square, the equation can be solved for x to get x = (1 ± √(1-4y))/2. The restriction x ≥ 1/2 becomes a restriction on y, where the positive square root must be chosen to produce y values that are at least 1
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of the function: Y=X2-X, X≥½

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've switched X and Y to get: X=Y2-Y

Then I've tried several things to get Y alone, but none of them seem to work. I've tried taking a square root, using a log, and several other things. I think using a log is the way to go here, but I can't seem to get it correct. I'm in the tutoring center here on campus and not even the tutors seem to be able to do it. I'd post my work, but I've gone through a half-dozen different ways of doing it and all of them come out to a dead end as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure what I'd post.

Also, what's the significance of X≥½? Is it just extra info that I don't need? I know it limits using the function to only when X is equal to or greater than a half, but is that it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution of [itex]x^2 + bx + c = 0[/itex] is [itex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4c}}2[/itex].

Which of [itex]\pm[/itex] should you take here, given that [itex]x \geq \frac12[/itex]?

Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Then I've tried several things to get Y alone, but none of them seem to work. I've tried taking a square root, using a log, and several other things. I think using a log is the way to go here, but I can't seem to get it correct. I'm in the tutoring center here on campus and not even the tutors seem to be able to do it. I'd post my work, but I've gone through a half-dozen different ways of doing it and all of them come out to a dead end as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure what I'd post.

Also, what's the significance of X≥½? Is it just extra info that I don't need? I know it limits using the function to only when X is equal to or greater than a half, but is that it?

Thanks.

That's a quadratic equation in Y. Use the quadratic formula. Then you'll see what x>=1/2 has to do with the problem.

Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks.

If you will complete the square on ##x^2-x## you will have ##y = (x-\frac 1 2)^2 - \frac 1 4##. This is a parabola opening up and is therefore not 1-1. But its vertex is at ##x=\frac 1 2## so the part with ##x>\frac 1 2## is increasing, therefore 1-1. Solve the completed square equation for ##x## taking the positive root to get ##f^{-1}(y)##.

Sigh... silly quadratic forumula, always popping up where I least expect you...

Okay, so I get Y=(1±√(1-4X))/2.

pasmith said:
Which of [itex]\pm[/itex] should you take here, given that [itex]x \geq \frac12[/itex]?

I have no idea. How does that work with the inverse of a function? Does the X change to a Y here as well?

Drakkith said:
Sigh... silly quadratic forumula, always popping up where I least expect you...

I have no idea. How does that work with the inverse of a function? Does the X change to a Y here as well?
Now that you have switched the roles of x and y, any restrictions on x (such as x ≥ 1/2) now become restrictions on y. For this equation: $$y = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4x}}{2}$$
which of the two branches produces y values that are at least 1/2?

@Drakkith, IMO the whole business of swapping x for y and y for x is highly overrated. Given an equation y = f(x), where f is a one-to-one function, you can find the inverse f-1 in one step: Solve for x to get x = f-1(y).

It's only because we have a bias for making x the independent variable and y the dependent variable that we like to have functions in terms of x. That's where the x ↔ y business comes in. As you progress further toward calculus, switching variables becomes less important. For example, if one equation is y = x2 - 1, then you might have a reason to solve for x, which would be x = ± √(y + 1). If you have some information about x, you can decide which of the two square roots you should use.

Mark44 said:
Now that you have switched the roles of x and y, any restrictions on x (such as x ≥ 1/2) now become restrictions on y. For this equation: $$y = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4x}}{2}$$
which of the two branches produces y values that are at least 1/2?

Since the right side is already 1 over 2, that would mean it would the radical would have to be positive, otherwise we'd subtract on the top and end up less than 1/2.

Mark44 said:
@Drakkith, IMO the whole business of swapping x for y and y for x is highly overrated.

Unfortunately I don't think my calculus teacher is going to agree. ;)

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately I don't think my calculus teacher is going to agree. ;)
If you make a reasoned argument, I'm pretty sure he or she will agree (barring the possibility that your teacher is a moron ;), though college instructors often aren't).

If you start with y = f(x) and do this:
1. Solve for x

you have x = f-1(y). (Again, assuming that f is one-to-one)

If the question asks you for the inverse, as a function of x, then do the switcheroo.

Drakkith said:
You seem to have made a sign error somewhere. The square root isn't defined for X>1/4, but you know that the parabola opened upward so there should be a lower limit on X, not an upper limit.

vela said:
You seem to have made a sign error somewhere. The square root isn't defined for X>1/4, but you know that the parabola opened upward so there should be a lower limit on X, not an upper limit.

Ugh, the 1-4x should be 1+4x, shouldn't it?

That makes it y=(1±√(1+4x))/2.

Drakkith said:
Ugh, the 1-4x should be 1+4x, shouldn't it?

That makes it y=(1±√(1+4x))/2.
Hopefully you realize that this is not the inverse -- it's not even a function. You have to choose one of the branches based on the condition that y ##\ge## 1/2.

Mark44 said:
Hopefully you realize that this is not the inverse -- it's not even a function. You have to choose one of the branches based on the condition that y ##\ge## 1/2.

Sure. It should be y=(1+√(1+4x))/2. Since the square root is always positive, having a 1- instead of 1+ would result in a value less than 1/2, which is outside the domain.

1. What is the inverse of the function y = x2 - x, where x is greater than or equal to 1/2?

The inverse of this function is found by swapping the x and y variables and solving for y. This results in the function y = (1 + √(1 + 4x)) / 2, where x is greater than or equal to 1/2.

2. How do you graph the inverse of this function?

To graph the inverse of this function, you can use the graph of the original function and reflect it over the line y = x. This will result in a parabola opening to the right with a vertex at (1/4, 1/4).

3. What is the domain and range of the inverse function?

The domain of the inverse function is all real numbers greater than or equal to 1/4. The range is also all real numbers greater than or equal to 1/4.

4. Is the inverse function a one-to-one function?

Yes, the inverse function is a one-to-one function because it passes the horizontal line test. This means that every x-value has only one corresponding y-value.

5. Can you use the inverse function to solve equations?

Yes, the inverse function can be used to solve equations involving the original function. For example, if you have y = x2 - x and want to find the value of x when y = 3, you can use the inverse function to find that x = 2 or x = -1.