1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find K and VTR for MOSFET

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A MOSFET has the set of v-I characteristics shown in Fig. P5.5.

What are the values of K and VTR?

2. Relevant equations
    iD=K(VGS-VTR)2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have looked in the book and all of the example problems give VTR, but it doesn't show how to actually get the K and VTR values based on the graph. I really have no idea what to do.

The answer in the book says K=0.25 mA/V2 and VTR=2V. Is VTR 2V because VGS increases by 2V?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First job for you is to figure out where on the Vds axis (the x axis) you're operating at.
    Hint: notice that Vds does not appear in your equation. What does that suggest?

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    The transition from triode to constant current uses the equation VDS=VGS-VTR. So, substituting into the equation I gave in my first post:

iD=KVDS2

I also noticed that I can find VTR using the point where the graph goes horizontal. For VGS=4V, the point would be at 2V. Then 4-2=2V is what I want (verified this by looking at an example in the book where I was given VTR). This seems to work fine, but not sure if it is the "correct" way.

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, there are 2 ways to go:
    1. Use VT = Vgs - Vds. So look where the curves bend flat. As you point out, using the Vgs = 4V curve it looks like VT ~ 2V.

But if you used the Vgs = 8V curve you'd get more like VT = 3V (the curve bends at about Vds = 5V so 8 - 5 = 3). The Vgs = 6V and 11V curves would also compute to about VT = 3.

A better way to go is to use your original equation of Ids = k(Vgs - VT)^2. Use it twice, on two different curves, to solve simultaneously for k and VT.

But as I said, first you have to decide where on the Vds axis you're sitting. That equation of yours holds only if Vds > (Vgs - VT).

6. Feb 21, 2013 #5
    Do I just pick a region (i.e. constant current, saturation, triode) and use the corresponding equation?

7. Feb 22, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but remember what I said about the region where that equation is valid.

There are separate equations fdepending on the region of the i-V characteristics you're looking at.

For example, in the triode region your equation would not be appropriate.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Feb 22, 2013 #7
    Ah, gotcha. I figured it out after using two different curves, as you said.

Thank you for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook