1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find length of segment AB

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement:

The line r=(-8,-6,-1) + s(2,2,1) intersects the xz- and yz-coordinates planes at points A and B, respectively. Determine the length of line segment AB.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for the line, x= -8 + 2s, y= -6 + 2s, and z= -1 + s. I think the normals to the xz- and yz- planes are (0,1,0) and (1,0,0) respectively. Do I just stick the parametric equations of the line into the Cartesian equation of each of the planes to get something or do I have to use different numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Knowing the normals to the two coordinate planes isn't useful in this problem, but something that is useful is that every point on the x-z plane has a y coordinate of 0. There is a similar property for every point on the y-z plane. Can you use this information in your problem?

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    How?

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4

Mark44

You know that the line intersections points A and B, and that these points are on, respectively, the x-z and y-z coordinate planes. What do you know about point A? Point B?

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    That A has a y-value of 0 and B has an x-value of 0. Now what?

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

Mark44

Use your equation of the line. The two points have to be on the line, right? x= -8 + 2s, y= -6 + 2s, and z= -1 + s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook