1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find limit and find delta

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    Let [tex] f(X)=\frac{\sin(2x)}{x} [/tex] and use a graphing utility to conjecture the value of L = [tex] \lim_{x->0}f(x) \mbox{ then let } \epsilon =.1 [/tex] and use the graphing utility and its trace feature to find a positive number [tex] \delta [/tex] such that [tex] |f(x)-l|< \epsilon \mbox{ if } 0 < |x| < \delta [/tex]. My conjecture of the limit L = 2, therefore if that is the case then [tex] 1.9< f(x) < 2.1[/tex]. Since the maximum value of f(x) < 2, the graphing utility will not be able to find delta will it? What is the value of delta if L=2?Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

It will be able to. The function does not need to go both above and below. You just need to find a number [tex]\delta[/tex] so that f(x) is between those numbers whenever x is in the interval [tex][-\delta,\delta][/tex].

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    I set up my graphing calculator Xmin =.2758..., Xmax = .2775... Then f(x)=y=1.8999954 gives x_0=.27596197. The length 0 to x_0 is not = delta but this half interval has the property that for each x in the interval (except possibly for x=0) the values of f(x) is between either 0 and L+epsilon or L-epsilon. delta could be much smaller than x_0. I still have not found delta.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Any positive number delta that has that property ("for each x in the interval (except possibly for x=0) the values of f(x) is between either 0 and L+epsilon or L-epsilon") is a solution to the problem as long as it does not specifically ask for the largest possible number delta with that property.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook