What is the Limit as n Approaches Infinity of a Rational Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as n approaches infinity for a given equation. The individual attempts at solving the problem involve dividing the numerator and denominator by n^4 and n^2, and simplifying the radical term by taking out the multiplying/dividing terms. The final solution is found by dividing the radical term by n^2 and simplifying the equation.
dalarev

Homework Statement

Find limit as n -> infinity

[ (n+1)^2 ] / [ [tex]\sqrt{}3+5n^2+4n^4[/tex] ]

Homework Equations

L'Hopital won't do the job, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's something really small I'm just completely missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
divide the numerator and denominator by n^4

ircdan said:
divide the numerator and denominator by n^4

I found an example that said exactly that, but I guess I don't see clearly how, first of all,

the radical / n^4 comes out pretty.

you have, (n+1)^2/(sqrt(3) + 5n^2 + 4n^4), or

(n^2 + 2n + 1)/(sqrt(3) + 5n^2 + 4n^4), so dividing num and denom by n^4,

(1/n^2 + 2/n^3 + 1/n^4)/(sqrt(3)/n^4 + 5/n^2 + 4) and now the limit as n->inf is ...

ircdan said:
you have, (n+1)^2/(sqrt(3) + 5n^2 + 4n^4), or

(n^2 + 2n + 1)/(sqrt(3) + 5n^2 + 4n^4), so dividing num and denom by n^4,

(1/n^2 + 2/n^3 + 1/n^4)/(sqrt(3)/n^4 + 5/n^2 + 4) and now the limit as n->inf is ...

Oh, I'm sorry. In the denominator, everything is actually under the radical. It doesn't matter, however, because the numerator comes out to zero. Thanks for the help.

[tex]\sqrt{3}+5n^2+4n^4[/tex] OR [tex]\sqrt{3+5n^2+4n^4}[/tex] ?

if the last one, then divide num and denom by n^2

Last edited:
jdg812 said:
[tex]\sqrt{3}+5n^2+4n^4[/tex] OR [tex]\sqrt{3+5n^2+4n^4}[/tex] ?

if the last one, then divide num and denom by n^2

It's the last one, everything under the radical.

My problem is I'm not seeing how I would divide something like

[tex]\sqrt{3+5n^2+4n^4}[/tex] / n^4, or / any number, for that matter. I'm not seeing how to simplify that radical into individual terms.

dalarev said:

[tex]\sqrt{3+5n^2+4n^4}[/tex] / n^4, or / any number, for that matter. I'm not seeing how to simplify that radical into individual terms.
You should not simplify the radical, just put n^2 INSIDE the radical... and remember that n^2 becomes n^4 when inside radical...

dalarev said:

figured this would be your difficulty, here is an example
sqrt(n^2 + 2n)/n^2 = sqrt(n^2 + 2n)/sqrt(n^4) = sqrt((n^2 + 2n)/n^4) = sqrt(1/n^2 + 2/n^3)

try to see why it works, now mimic it for your problem.

Ahh, I see it. I forgot about that property where you're allowed to simply "take out" multiplying/dividing terms. I see it now, thanks a bunch.

1. What does "n -> infinity" mean in the context of finding a limit?

"n -> infinity" means that the value of n is approaching infinity, or getting infinitely large. This is often used in mathematical notation to indicate that we are looking at the behavior of a function or sequence as its input or index approaches infinity.

2. How do you find the limit as n approaches infinity?

To find the limit as n approaches infinity, we evaluate the function or sequence at increasingly large values of n. If the resulting values approach a specific number, that number is the limit. If the values do not approach a specific number, the limit does not exist.

3. Can the limit as n approaches infinity be any number?

No, the limit as n approaches infinity can only be a specific number if the function or sequence approaches that number as n gets larger and larger. If the function or sequence does not approach a specific number, the limit does not exist.

4. What is the difference between a finite limit and a limit as n approaches infinity?

A finite limit means that the function or sequence approaches a specific number as its input or index approaches a specific value. A limit as n approaches infinity means that the function or sequence approaches a specific number as its input or index gets infinitely large.

5. Why is finding the limit as n approaches infinity important in mathematics?

Finding the limit as n approaches infinity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or sequence as its input or index gets very large. This can be useful in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, where we want to understand how functions behave at the edges of their domains.