1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Limit

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    Find [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} \frac{{\tan (nx) - n\tan (x)}}
    {{n\sin (x) - \sin (nx)}} [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This looks like homework.
    What did you try already?
    Taylor expansion? L'Hôpitals rule?

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    I'm taking a guess here, but couldn't tan(nx) be extracted to sin(nx) / cos(nx) ?

Or is that complicating things, or just wrong?

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right and possible though I doubt it will simplify things (but unless you know the Taylor expansion / small argument approximation / derivative and what more you may need to calculate the limit for the tangent, you can use tan = sin/cos to find them). But I think it is time for the TS to show some work.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  6. Jan 4, 2008 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Small angle approximation, Taylor expansion and L'Hopital's rule is all exactly the same :( Well, at least here it is.

7. Jan 4, 2008 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Another approach, after rewriting the tangent terms as sine/cosine terms, would be to divide top and bottom by x and, with multiplications above and below by n in appropriate places, exploit the heck out of

lim u->0 (sin u)/u = 1 .

[EDIT: Ah-haha! Not so simple as this one looks. This approach does nothing to fix the problem with the denominator. And l'Hopital doesn't fare much better, as you'll get 0 - 0 in the denominator endlessly. I'm checking to see if there's a "nice" way to eliminate the difference in the denominator...]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  8. Jan 5, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Which, again, is just another form of applying small angle approximation/l'hopital/taylor series =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?