Calculating Magnetic Field Strength in a Balanced System

In summary, The question asks how to find the force, given the current, length, field strength, and angle in a magnetic force equation. The given length is in grams, but can be converted to kilograms. The solution involves balancing the magnetic force (per unit length) with the gravitational force (per unit length).
warnexus

Homework Statement

magneticfieldstrength_zps065c6961.jpg

Homework Equations

force = current * length * field strength * sin (theta)

current = 5.6 A
mass/ length = 80g/m
right angles = sin(90) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

i noticed the mass is given in grams, 80 grams to be exact or .08 kg . how would I find the acceleration? if I can find acceleration(m/s^2) I can multiply that with kg to get the force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to worry about acceleration. This is equlibrium. Just balance the forces (in this case, forces per unit length).

I do not understand. The question gave the units in grams and that unit threw me off. How do you mean balance the forces?

The magnetic force balancing the weight.

the example in the book has something similar but the length is given in km and all the variables were given unlike this one. their equation is like this:

magnetic force = current * length * magnetic field strength * sin theta

i am going to use that with my variables

i wind up converting grams to kilogram seeing as that is convention.

magnetic force = 5.6 A * .08kg * magnetic field strength * (sin 90)

the magnetic force is coming from the Earth. the textbook says the Earth field is approx of a dipole in mu. units are in amperes * meters ^ 2. but it does not seem right. seeing as magnetic force is N/m

so I was thinking what I learned many months ago in class: mass * gravity = weight. but you said I do not need to worry about acceleration

warnexus said:
so I was thinking what I learned many months ago in class: mass * gravity = weight. but you said I do not need to worry about acceleration

I was afraid you'd misinterpret that. You do have to consider gravitational force, but nothing is accelerating. The gravitational force (per unit length) is balancing the magnetic force (per unit length). Write that equation.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is produced by moving electric charges, such as the movement of electrons in atoms or the flow of current in a wire.

How is the magnetic field strength measured?

The magnetic field strength is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is the Tesla (T).

What affects the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source of the field, the size and orientation of the source magnet, and the permeability of the material it is passing through. The strength of a magnetic field also decreases as the distance from the source increases.

How can I find the magnetic field strength of a magnet?

To find the magnetic field strength of a magnet, you can use a magnetometer or a gaussmeter. These devices measure the magnetic flux density, which is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field. Alternatively, you can use the formula B = μ0 * (m / r^3) where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic dipole moment of the magnet, and r is the distance from the magnet to the point where the field is being measured.

What are some real-world applications of measuring magnetic field strength?

Measuring magnetic field strength is important in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and geology. It is used in medical imaging to create detailed images of the human body, in electronics to control the movement of electrons in devices, and in geology to study the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on the planet. It is also used in space exploration to map the magnetic fields of other planets and celestial bodies.