Find Magnitude: Help with Homework Problem

• Thread starter nasadall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary: So your final answer is 2.45 Ns. In summary, a problem involving a ball of mass 350g hitting a vertical wall at right angles and rebounding with a speed of 3m/s is solved using the equation Magnitude = mv2 – mv1. After correcting an error in the attempt at a solution, the final answer is determined to be 2.45 Ns. The units of magnitude are in kg m/s and the final answer is given in Ns. The direction of velocities and impulse can be shown using a simple diagram.
nasadall

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 350g is traveling with a speed of 4m/s when it hits at right angles a fixed vertical wall. The ball rebounds with a speed of 3m/s. Find the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the ball on the wall. Using a simple diagram show the direction of velocities and the impulse.

Homework Equations

m = 350g or m = 0.35kg v1 = - 4m/s^-1 v2 = 3m/s^-1

Magnitude = mv2 – mv1

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnitude = 0.35 3 – 0.35(- 4)

Magnitude = 1.05 – 1.4

Magnitude = - 0.35

Hi can some one check this equation for me please.

Also is there a unit to simbolize magnitude? and is the final answer 0.35 given in joules?

Last one how would i draw a simple diagram showing the direction of velocities and the impulse?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your final value is correct.
However, being a magnitude , it should have positive sign.

As for the units, just work them out by what you have in the equation.
I'm sure you know the units of m and v (and you're given them, anyway), so just use those.

Start drawing a diagram showing the velocities only, I'm sure you'll understand in what direction should the impulse go.

i've calculated wrong.
it should have been.

Magnitude = 1.05-(-1.4)
= 2.45

2.45 is the final answer.

kg m/s

is the final answer given in N??

N is kg m/s2, but you only have kg m/s.

So you can either leave it as kg m/s or rewrite it as..?

thank you for you help, but i can't get there, to be honest, i started studying after 15 years and this thing is doing my head, i have to handle my course work tomorroy, and I'm still half way.lollol

Just look at how the RHS of the two equations below is altered and you will know how to change the LHS as well.

N = kg m/s^2

? = kg m/s

i think the answer is Ns

It is indeed.

1. What is magnitude?

Magnitude is a measure of the brightness or intensity of an object, usually in astronomy. It can also refer to the size or scale of something.

2. How do I find magnitude?

The formula for calculating magnitude depends on the type of object you are measuring. For stars, the formula is magnitude = -2.5 log (brightness). For earthquakes, the formula is magnitude = log (energy released).

3. What units are used for magnitude?

Magnitude is typically measured on a logarithmic scale, so it does not have a specific unit. However, it is often represented with the symbol "m" or "mag".

4. Can magnitude be negative?

Yes, magnitude can be negative. In astronomy, a negative magnitude indicates a brighter object, while a positive magnitude indicates a fainter object.

5. How can I use magnitude to compare objects?

Magnitude can be used to compare the brightness or intensity of different objects. The lower the magnitude, the brighter the object. For example, a star with a magnitude of 1 is brighter than a star with a magnitude of 5.