Find magnitude of the magnetic field

In summary: I is the current in the wire. In summary, the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point (0, 4.0 cm) on the y-axis is equal to - μo*I/(4π*sqrt(x^2 + Y^2)).
define_normal

Homework Statement

A wire carries a current of 30A along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = 3.0 cm. Determine the magnitude in uT of the magnetic field at the point y = 4.0 cm on the y-axis.

Homework Equations

dB = (u/4pi) ((Ids x r)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

We tried using this formula, but it didn't work. We are lost. Please help! Be descriptive if you can.

Physics news on Phys.org

define_normal said:

Homework Statement

A wire carries a current of 30A along the x-axis from x = 0 to x = 3.0 cm. Determine the magnitude in uT of the magnetic field at the point y = 4.0 cm on the y-axis.

Homework Equations

dB = (u/4pi) ((Ids x r)/r^2)
If you take a small element dx on x-axis at a distance x from the origin, its distance from a point on the y-axis is sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
Now (dx)xr = dx*sinθ, where r is the unit vector along r and θ is the angle between r and y-axis.
sinθ = x/sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
Substitute these values in dB and take the integration from x = 0 to x = 4

We don't understand how we're supposed to integrate. Isn't there an R^2 in the bottom?

define_normal said:
We don't understand how we're supposed to integrate. Isn't there an R^2 in the bottom?
Yes. It is there.
B = μο/4π*I*Intg[ sinθ*dx/( x^2 + y^2 )
If you substitute the value of sinθ,the expression becomes
B = μο/4π*I*Intg[ x*dx/( x^2 + y^2 )^3/2
Now find the integration and substitute the limits.

Can you write out what would be the exact (B=) equation?

amdemare said:
Can you write out what would be the exact (B=) equation?
B = - μo/4π*I/sqrt(x^2 + Y^2)

1. What is the definition of magnetic field magnitude?

The magnitude of a magnetic field refers to the strength or intensity of the field at a specific point in space. It is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G) in the SI system.

2. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field calculated?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the current-carrying wire, and the permeability of the material surrounding the wire. It is also influenced by the orientation of the wire and any nearby magnetic fields.

4. How is the magnitude of a magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects and measures the strength of the magnetic field at a specific location.

5. Why is it important to know the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is important in many scientific and technological applications. It is used in the design and operation of electric motors, generators, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields. Understanding the magnitude of a magnetic field is also crucial in fields such as geology, astronomy, and particle physics.