1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find mass of block. SHM

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block attached to a horizontal spring of force constant 75 N/m undergoes SHM with an amplitude of 0.15 m. If the speed of the mass is 1.7 m/s when the displacement is 0.12 m from the equilibrium position, what is the mass of the block?
    k = 75 N
    v = 1.7m/s @ 0.12m displacement

2. Relevant equations
    T = 2π√(m/k)
    T = d/v
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having a really hard time figuring this out.
    This question would be much easier if I could find the velocity when it is at its highest amplitude, because then I would have to multiply the time by two to get the full cycle.

But it does not give me that. I have no clue how to find the period in order to complete my equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2
    What is the equation for the displacement from the equilibrium position as a function of time in SHM?

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    I don't know. I wrote down the equation for SHM that gives period.

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    That equation is not adequate to solve this problem. Please go back and review your notes on simple harmonic motion.

Chet

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the energy stored in the spring at a displacement of 0.15m? What is the value at 0.12m?

7. Oct 19, 2014 #6
    The energy stored in a spring at 0.15m is:

1/2 (75N/m)(0.12^2) = 0.54 J of energy. Now, I can substitute the equation and solve for m like this:

1/2(75N/m)(0.12^2) = 1/2(M)(1.7^2)

I get a mass of 0.6 kg.

Answer is 0.21 kg

8. Oct 19, 2014 #7
    Whoops, I actually got a mass of 0.37kg.

Still not the answer, though.

9. Oct 19, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Huh?
    You should get two different energy values for both displacements. Just this difference is available as kinetic energy, not the full energy stored in the spring.

10. Oct 20, 2014 #9
    That was a typo.

I meant to calculate the energy value for when the spring is at 0.12m. The reason is because I have the speed on that value. I don't have speed at 0.15m.

11. Oct 20, 2014 #10

mfb

2016 Award

It is the maximal distance the object can get away from the origin. What do you expect as velocity there?

12. Oct 20, 2014 #11
    That's what I'm confused about. If I have that velocity, I should be able to get the mass.

But I don't know that velocity, nor do I know how to calculate it.

13. Oct 21, 2014 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Does it move to the left or to the right at that point?
    Trick question...

14. Oct 21, 2014 #13
    I'll just go ahead and assume that this SHM is a mass on a spring hanging from the ceiling. On the highest amplitude, it's not really moving too much.

15. Oct 21, 2014 #14
    The equation I was thinking of in post number #2 was ##y=0.15sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t)##. From this you can calculate the velocity at time t.

Chet

16. Oct 21, 2014 #15

mfb

2016 Award

It is a horizontal spring and horizontal motion. Anyway, the mass is just turning around, so it has a velocity of zero there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted