Find Max Current Given Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a book involving an expression for the maximum value of current entering a terminal in an ideal basic circuit element. The solution involves taking the derivative of the expression and setting it equal to 0 to find the point of maximum current. The conversation also touches on the concepts of maximums, minimums, and inflection points in calculus.
jdawg

Homework Statement

The expression entering the upper terminal (It is an ideal basic circuit element) is: q = 1/α2 - (t/α +1/α2)e-αt C
Find the maximum value of the current entering the terminal if α = 0.03679 s-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example in my book that I need to understand to be able to to my homework, but I have no idea what's going on. Here is the solution:

i = dq/dt

i = 0 - [(1/α +1/α2)e-αt(-α) +e-αt(1/α)] Why did they subtract from 0?

i = -e-αt[-t -1/α +1/α]

i = te-αt

Current at max if di/dt=0 How do you know the current is at max at 0?

di/dt = te-αt(-α) + e-αt = 0

e-αt(1-αt) = 0

t = 1/α

At this point I understand that they substituted for t in this equation to get the answer 10 Amps

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Why did they subtract from zero?
What is the derivative of a constant?

• How do they know current is maxed when the current's derivative = 0?
The flat points on a function's graph at typically either maximums or minimums. Since the function i(t) is negative for t < 0, and i(t) → 0 as t → ∞, any flat point above zero must be a max.

First, the given equation for q is dimensionally wrong: q has units of charge and 1/α2 has units of T2. BTW you copied the first term wrong. It's 1/α2, not 1/α2. Typo probably. Still, the equation has inconsistent dimensions.

Second, the point at which the slope = 0 could also be a point of inflection. In this case the second derivative would be 0 at that point. So there are 3 possibilities: max, min and inflection.
The test for a max is that d2i/dt2 < 0.
Jeff Rosenbury said:
The flat points on a function's graph at typically either maximums or minimums. Since the function i(t) is negative for t < 0, and i(t) → 0 as t → ∞, any flat point above zero must be a max.
I don't think i(t) is defined for t < 0. Or it would blow up. The test for a max. is the polarity of the second derivative.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
rude man said:
First, the given equation for q is dimensionally wrong: q has units of charge and 1/α2 has units of T2. BTW you copied the first term wrong. It's 1/α2, not 1/α2. Typo probably. Still, the equation has inconsistent dimensions.

Second, the point at which the slope = 0 could also be a point of inflection. In this case the second derivative would be 0 at that point. So there are 3 possibilities: max, min and inflection.
The test for a max is that d2i/dt2 < 0.

I don't think i(t) is defined for t < 0. Or it would blow up. The test for a max. is the polarity of the second derivative.
You are mostly correct. I'm sure some clever mathematician could come up with a weird function that didn't obey even that rule. (Think of a disjoint function around an open point following some other function ... Math is funny that way.) That's why I used the word "typically".

This function would blow up, or rather down below zero. Yet pedantic equations often blow up. It's in their nature.

I still don't understand... I know the derivative of a constant is 0, but why are we taking derivatives? I vaguely remember inflection points and all that, its been a little while since I've had calculus.

You are given q. The derivative of q is i, which you want. Therefore you take the derivative.

Since the derivative is also the slope, we can use it to find maximums, minimums, and inflection points. (Where it will equal zero.)

jdawg said:
I still don't understand... I know the derivative of a constant is 0, but why are we taking derivatives? I vaguely remember inflection points and all that, its been a little while since I've had calculus.
Not a good idea to forget that part of calculus. Set di/dt = 0, solve for i and check that d2i/dt2 < 0.
A lot of calculus is best forgotten or probably should not be taught to begin with, like techniques of integration and the many ways to solve all kinds of differential equations. But finding a min or a max is of paramount importance. Review!

1. What is the formula for finding maximum current given charge?

The formula for finding maximum current given charge is I = Q/t, where I is the current in amperes, Q is the charge in coulombs, and t is the time in seconds.

2. How do I determine the maximum current when only charge and time are given?

To determine the maximum current when only charge and time are given, simply divide the charge by the time. This will give you the value of the current in amperes.

3. Can the maximum current be negative?

No, the maximum current cannot be negative. Current is a measure of the flow of positive charge, so it is always a positive value.

4. Why is it important to know the maximum current given charge?

Knowing the maximum current given charge is important because it helps determine the capacity of a circuit or device. If the current exceeds the maximum, it can cause damage or malfunction.

5. How does the maximum current change if the charge is doubled?

If the charge is doubled, the maximum current will also double. This is because the formula for current (I = Q/t) is directly proportional to charge. As charge increases, current also increases in proportion.