1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find max/min within what we've been taught?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have the function [tex] 0.1x^3 - 3x[/tex] and I would like to find its local maxima and minima within the domain of [-10,10]. The problem is I don't think we've been taught a way yet; I'm currently in Calculus I and just before derivatives. Is there a way within my current knowledge to find the fraction representing the max and min of this function within the above domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2
    I would think that the local max and min could be approximated by taking the midpoint x value between roots. Edit: Have you been taught limit notation yet?

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't u use a computer & graph it...?

Daniel.

5. Feb 15, 2005 #4
    Yeah we've been taught limit notation. And we can probably just give the value 3.1622... but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible.

We have roots
    [tex]\sqrt{1.2}/1.2
    and
    0[/tex]
    The midpoint isn't the max/min cause the function isn't linear (i think thats why).

6. Feb 15, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately u can find the exact (x,y) values or the extrem through calculus.Approximate values can be achived by plotting...It has 3 roots,BTW

Daniel.

7. Feb 15, 2005 #6
    If you know limit notation I think you can cheat and use the definition of a derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?