Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find max/min within what we've been taught?

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I have the function [tex] 0.1x^3 - 3x[/tex] and I would like to find its local maxima and minima within the domain of [-10,10]. The problem is I don't think we've been taught a way yet; I'm currently in Calculus I and just before derivatives. Is there a way within my current knowledge to find the fraction representing the max and min of this function within the above domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2
    I would think that the local max and min could be approximated by taking the midpoint x value between roots. Edit: Have you been taught limit notation yet?

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't u use a computer & graph it...?

Daniel.

5. Feb 15, 2005 #4
    Yeah we've been taught limit notation. And we can probably just give the value 3.1622... but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible.

We have roots
    [tex]\sqrt{1.2}/1.2
    and
    0[/tex]
    The midpoint isn't the max/min cause the function isn't linear (i think thats why).

6. Feb 15, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately u can find the exact (x,y) values or the extrem through calculus.Approximate values can be achived by plotting...It has 3 roots,BTW

Daniel.

7. Feb 15, 2005 #6
    If you know limit notation I think you can cheat and use the definition of a derivative.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook