1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find MIN

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Explain why f(x) = 1/x must have a minimum on [1,2] but not on [-1,2].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know what to do. First, I took the x values from the given points and plugged them back into the function but the results do not coincide with the y values. I don't really know what to do.

I also thought about differentiating it and then f'(x) = 0.
    I used the quotient rule:
    (x)(1)' - (1)(x)'/(x)^2
    -1/x^2 -> f'(x)=0
    -1/x^2= 0

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

[1,2] is the interval from 1 to 2, not the point (1,2).

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    I still don't know how to find the answer.
    I've had exercises where I was able to write my answer as "MIN: (-1,-4) and (2,-4)" or "MIN: (0,0) and (3,0)" for instance and they were correct.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So what does this tell you?

One of the first things you should have done is sketch a graph of the function f(x) = 1/x. You would be able to see from the graph why there is a minimum on the interval [1, 2] and why there isn't one on the interval [-1, 2].

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    what I don't understand is how would the graph of [1,2] and [-1,2] differ from [-1,-4] and [2,-4], for instance, as I found in one of my previous homework.

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6

Mark44

This makes no sense. You aren't graphiing [1, 2] etc. These are intervals.

You didn't answer my previous question. You found that if f(x) = 1/x, then f'(x) = -1/x2. Then you set f'(x) to 0, getting
    -1/x2 = 0

What is the solution to this equation?
    What does that tell you about the graph of f(x)?
    Have you graphed f(x) = 1/x?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. Nov 11, 2012 #7
    there's no solution.

9. Nov 11, 2012 #8

Mark44

Right. So what about the other questions I asked...

10. Nov 12, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point is that f(0) is not defined. That matters on [-1, 2] but not on [1, 2]. Do you see why?

There is a theorem that says if a function is continuous on a closed and bounded interval it has both maximum and minimum values on the interval. Do you see why that applies to [1, 2] but not to [-1, 2]?

Finally there is a theorem that says that if a function is continuous on a closed and bounded interval and differentiable in its interior, then the max and min occur where the derivative is 0 or at the end points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook