1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find momentum of wavefunction

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Wavefunction is of form:
    ψ(x) = eikx
    Find momentum and energy of this state.

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier transform of ψ(x) to get to momentum space
    or is it
    <p> = integral from -infinity to infinity of ψ* (h/i) * derivative wrt x of ψ dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I initially tried the second approach, but it didn't work, I got an infinite answer. Someone said to instead convert the function to momentum space, I used the Fourier transform but when I do that, my integral in the Fourier transform is -infinity to infinity of an oscillating function that doesn't decrease and is undefined.

I have no idea now how to proceed. I've worked on this question for hours, I searched the textbook, google, etc. and could not find anything useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: One representation of the Dirac delta function is
    [tex]\delta(x-x_0) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ik(x-x_0)}\,dk[/tex]

Another way you could approach the problem is to simply apply the momentum operator to that function and interpret what the equation means.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook