1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find n using Bohr model

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hydrogen atom in an excited state absorbs a photon of wavelength 410 nm. What were the initial and final states of the hydrogen atom.

2. Relevant equations
    Rydberg equation:
    [tex]\frac{1}{λ}=R_∞(\frac{1}{n{_l}{^2}}-\frac{1}{n{_u}{^2}})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Plugging that wavelength into the equation, I still have two unknowns; the lower n and the upper n. Would finding the frequency help? I don't see any equations I could use that would help me find one of those n's.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you can't find one of those n's. You'll have to guess until you find a good match. Try n1=1 first, figure out why that can't work. Then try n1=2. Then you should be able to find pretty good value of n2 just by guessing. I don't know any other way to play this game.

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    Oh ok thanks. I thought about guessing, but thought that was a pretty inelegant way to do it, so I assumed there must have been another way. Guess not.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted