1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Output of LTI System Given Input and Impulse Response

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a LTI system for which the filter coefficients are ##{\mathrm{h}_k}=\{1,2,1\}##. Find the output when the input is ##\mathrm{x}[n]=3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{\pi}{3}n-\frac{\pi}{2})-3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{7\pi}{8}n)##. Identify two frequencies in this composite signal. Show the frequency response with respect to these two frequencies.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Input:
    ##\mathrm{x}[0]=3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{\pi}{2})-3\mathrm{cos}(0)=-3##
    ##\mathrm{x}[1]=3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{-\pi}{6})-3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{7\pi}{8})=-0.1736##
    ##\mathrm{x}[2]=3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{\pi}{6})-3\mathrm{cos}(\frac{7\pi}{4})=0.4768##

Is the output then ##\mathrm{y}[n]=\mathrm{h}_k*\mathrm{x}[n]=\{-3, -0.3472, 0.4768\}##?

Are two frequencies in this composite signal ##\frac{\pi}{3}## & ##\frac{\pi}{8}##?

I'm not sure what the last part is asking for. Are frequency response and output the same thing?

Also, is the given ##\mathrm{h}_k## called the impulse response? I'm trying to get my vocabulary down.

-Captain1024

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2
    I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted