1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find oxidation state

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One mole of aqueous S2O32- ions reduces four moles of Cl2 molecules. What is the oxidation state of the sulphur containing product of this reaction?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

oxidation state in S2O32- = +2

since 4moles of Cl2 are reduced, 8 electrons are released by S2O32- ions.

these are all information i can get, but i have no ideas how to proceed, please help me..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the electronic balance and use the fact that the total nr of chlorine atoms should be conserved.

[tex] S_{2}O_{3}^{2-} + 4 Cl_2-----> ... [/tex]

What's the oxydation state of chlorine in the resulting compound ? How many electrons are changes for all 8 ions ?

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks.. but i still don't understand..

I know that number of e- received by chlorine = number of e- released by S2O32-

but the problem is how i find the number of e- released by S2O32- from the information given?

Please guide me..:confused:

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should start with the chlorine. You know that 8 <pieces> of chlorine go from oxydation state 0 to oxydation state -1. How many electrons are captured ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook