Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find PDF

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    Hello,

Suppose that:

[tex]Z=X_1+X_2+X_1X_2[/tex]

where [tex]X_i[/tex] for i=1 and 2 are independent and identically distribuited exponential RVs.

can we find the PDF of Z?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should note that the event {Z = z} is equivalent to {X1 + X2 + X1 X2 = z} or {X1 = (z - X2)/(1 + X2)}. You can use this and use convolutions (example).

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    Right, But I want to find the PDF directly, not from differentiating the CDF, if possible. Because these RVs are, actually, not exponentials, but I said so to simplify the problem statement. So I want to avoid the derivative operation, which complicates the whole stituation.

I say the following:

let [tex]W=X_1+X_2[/tex] and [tex]Y=X_1X_2[/tex], then [tex]Z=W+Y[/tex]. But we need to evaluate joint PDF of W and Y. Is this approach in the right way?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  5. Jun 7, 2009 #4
    You may want to check the f distribution. The PDF is a bit complicated and I don't have Latex, but you can look it up.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. Jun 8, 2009 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can derive the pdf directly through convolution.

7. Jun 8, 2009 #6
    If we assume that [tex]Y=W+Z[/tex] where [tex]W=X_1X_2[/tex] and [tex]Z=X_1+X_2[/tex], then we need to find the joint PDF [tex]f_{W,Z}(w,z)[/tex], which can be found using Jacobian transformation.

If we proceed using this, we have:

[tex]X_1=T_1^{-1}=\frac{W+Z-X_2}{1+X_2}[/tex] and [tex]X_2=T_2^{-1}=\frac{W+Z-X_1}{1+X_1}[/tex]

Then

[tex]F_{W,Z}(w,z)=f_{X_1,X_2}(x_1=T_1^{-1},x_2=T_2^{-1})|J|[/tex]

where [tex]|J|[/tex] is the magnitude of the Jacobian which will be zero in this case!!!!

Is here anything wrong I did?

Regards

8. Jun 8, 2009 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write X1 as (z - X2)/(1 + X2). Then study the wiki example with normal distribution. How is that example similar to your problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook