1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find period of function

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    f(x) = - sin(x/5 - pi)

the period for this is -pi correct, since, k taken out it is 1, and by divide -pi into 1, the answer will be -pi only, correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Period

I don't think you can have a negative period!
    To find the period pick a value of x (say zero) and then work out what is the next value of x that will give the same value of f().
    Does adding the same constant to both values of X do anything?

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

Does it gives the same pi??

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

So, the answer is "pi"??

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The period of sin() is pi ie sin(0)=sin(pi)

But in terms of X, since you divide X by 2 what value of X do you need for the function to give the same value as for x=0?

7. Aug 20, 2008 #6

What is the exact period of f(x) (in radians)? (Recall p radians is equivalent to 180°; p is obtained by entering: Pi or pi.)

What does the question actually wants anyway?? how to calculate period in radians.

8. Aug 20, 2008 #7

zero??

9. Aug 20, 2008 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

This is not correct. A function [itex]f(x)[/itex] is periodic with period [itex]p[/itex] if
    [tex]f(x+p)=f(x)[/tex]
    for all real [itex]x[/itex]. For [itex]\sin(x)[/itex], this is true for [itex]p=2\pi[/itex], and not true for [itex]p=\pi[/itex], because [itex]\sin(x+\pi)=-\sin(x)[/itex], not [itex]\sin(x)[/itex].

10. Aug 20, 2008 #9

yes, and the answer is 10pi, by getting the 2pi divide 1/5 to get the answer. I get confuse that i need to multiply by 5 so to get b=5, but when i try 1/5, it's done.

11. Aug 20, 2008 #10

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Correct!

12. Aug 20, 2008 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

in this function, f(x) = - sin(x/5 - pi), the -pi would be a phase shift.

In general for sin (wt + q), w = 2pi f = 2 pi/T, where T is the period, and q is the phase shift.

13. Aug 21, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the period of sin(x) is 2pi.

fr33pl4gu3. your function is -sin(x/5- pi). When x/5- pi= 0, what is x? When x/5- pi= 2pi, what is x? The difference between those is the period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?