Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find period of function

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    f(x) = - sin(x/5 - pi)

the period for this is -pi correct, since, k taken out it is 1, and by divide -pi into 1, the answer will be -pi only, correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Period

I don't think you can have a negative period!
    To find the period pick a value of x (say zero) and then work out what is the next value of x that will give the same value of f().
    Does adding the same constant to both values of X do anything?

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

Does it gives the same pi??

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

So, the answer is "pi"??

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The period of sin() is pi ie sin(0)=sin(pi)

But in terms of X, since you divide X by 2 what value of X do you need for the function to give the same value as for x=0?

7. Aug 20, 2008 #6

What is the exact period of f(x) (in radians)? (Recall p radians is equivalent to 180°; p is obtained by entering: Pi or pi.)

What does the question actually wants anyway?? how to calculate period in radians.

8. Aug 20, 2008 #7

zero??

9. Aug 20, 2008 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

This is not correct. A function [itex]f(x)[/itex] is periodic with period [itex]p[/itex] if
    [tex]f(x+p)=f(x)[/tex]
    for all real [itex]x[/itex]. For [itex]\sin(x)[/itex], this is true for [itex]p=2\pi[/itex], and not true for [itex]p=\pi[/itex], because [itex]\sin(x+\pi)=-\sin(x)[/itex], not [itex]\sin(x)[/itex].

10. Aug 20, 2008 #9

yes, and the answer is 10pi, by getting the 2pi divide 1/5 to get the answer. I get confuse that i need to multiply by 5 so to get b=5, but when i try 1/5, it's done.

11. Aug 20, 2008 #10

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Correct!

12. Aug 20, 2008 #11

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

in this function, f(x) = - sin(x/5 - pi), the -pi would be a phase shift.

In general for sin (wt + q), w = 2pi f = 2 pi/T, where T is the period, and q is the phase shift.

13. Aug 21, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, the period of sin(x) is 2pi.

fr33pl4gu3. your function is -sin(x/5- pi). When x/5- pi= 0, what is x? When x/5- pi= 2pi, what is x? The difference between those is the period.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook