1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find period of pendulum

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    if if we have a string and a object with mass m connected to it , it does extend for 11 cm (string) . if we put another object with the same mass m , what will be the period of that ( of the 2 objects in the string) . please explain does mass affect the period ?
    thnx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Hint: Can you derive the formula for the period of a simple pendulum? Draw a free body diagram of a weight on a string not quite in the vertical position. Write the equation of motion. What can you conclude from the equation you derive?

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    i cannot derive , cause we didnt learn it , in one conclusion that i made it 'is 2 times more than the first' but i do not have a idea if its true and even if its true is my equation right :S

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4
    wait , even if we didnt learn this part i saw that for a string the T is 2pi square root of l /square root of g , it doesnt affect,, hmm but what must i do to find the period , i only have the increased'' length of 11cm and not the actual length before that

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    Is the string elastic and stretches? I'm not sure I gather that from the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook