Calculating pH of 0.1 M NaHCO3 with Ka values | Salt Hydrolysis Formula

• Thread starter atavistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the salt hydrolysis formula for calculating the pH of a salt solution is pH = 1/2(pKa - log[C]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant and [C] is the concentration of the salt. The acid dissociation constant (Ka) for NaHCO3 can be found in a chemistry reference book or online. It is typically listed as 4.8 x 10^-11 at 25°C. The concentration used in this calculation is 0.1 M, meaning 0.1 moles of NaHCO3 per liter of solution. This formula is applicable to all salt solutions, but may not be accurate for more complex salts or at very high or low concentrations.
atavistic

Homework Statement

Find pH of [tex]0.1M NaHCO_3[/tex]

[tex] Ka_1 (H_2CO_3) = 4.3 * 10^{ - 7} , Ka_2 (H_2CO_3) = 5.61 * 10^{ - 11}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]pH = \frac {1}{2}(14 + pKa_1 + logC)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now [tex]K_h = \frac {Kw}{Ka_1} = 2.3 * 10^{ - 8} > > Ka2[/tex]

So I neglect dissociation and use salt hydrolysis formula.

But this gives wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first double check the calculations and equations being used to ensure they are correct. If the answer is still wrong, I would consider other factors that could affect the pH, such as temperature, ionic strength, and any other ions present in the solution. I would also consider the pH range being calculated and if it falls within the range where the salt hydrolysis formula is applicable. If all factors have been taken into account and the answer still seems incorrect, I would consult with colleagues or a trusted source to confirm the result.

1. What is the salt hydrolysis formula for calculating pH?

The salt hydrolysis formula for calculating the pH of a salt solution is pH = 1/2(pKa - log[C]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant and [C] is the concentration of the salt.

2. How do I determine the acid dissociation constant (Ka) for NaHCO3?

The acid dissociation constant (Ka) for NaHCO3 can be found in a chemistry reference book or online. It is typically listed as 4.8 x 10^-11 at 25°C.

3. What is the concentration of NaHCO3 needed for this calculation?

The concentration used in this calculation is 0.1 M, meaning 0.1 moles of NaHCO3 per liter of solution. This is a common concentration used in laboratory experiments.

4. Is the salt hydrolysis formula applicable to all salt solutions?

The salt hydrolysis formula is applicable to all salt solutions, but it may not be accurate for more complex salts or at very high or low concentrations. In those cases, a more detailed calculation may be necessary.

5. Can this formula be used for other acids and bases besides NaHCO3?

Yes, this formula can be used for any acid or base with a known Ka value. However, the specific value of pKa and concentration of the acid or base must be used in the calculation.