Find pH of Buffer: NaH2PO4 & Na2HPO4 Solution

• Thread starter bublik13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, the conversation is about finding the pH of a buffer solution made up of sodium dihydrogen phosphate and disodium hydrogen phosphate. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is used, but the pKa value is not given so it must be looked up. The solution assumes anhydrous salts and results in an almost equimolar solution, allowing for the pH to be easily determined.
bublik13

Homework Statement

A buffer is made by dissolving 13.0g of sodium dihydrogen phosphate, NaH2PO4, and 15.0g of disodium hydrogen phosphate, Na2HPO4, in a litre of solution. What is the pH of the buffer?

a) 7.84
b)7.47
c)7.20
d)6.85
e)6.63

Homework Equations

pH = -log [H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I'm not sure if this is right, but I assumed that NaH2PO4 dissassociates into Na+ and then H2PO4-, and then H+, H+, PO4 3- ions. Second I assumed that it dissassociates into Na+, Na+, H+ and PO4 3- ions.

2)
M(Na2HPO4) = 141.96
m=15.0g
n=.105664

3) M(NaH2PO4) = 119.98
m=13.0g
n=.10835 * 2 = 0.2167 (since hydrogen ion concentration doubles)

4) 0.105664+0.2167=0.322 mol H+

5) pH = -log(.322) = 0.492

This is completely off. Please help. I realize I have a completely wrong approach, but I don't know what else can be done for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
While HPO42- and H2PO4- do dissociate slightly, you can safely ignore it, and assume their concentrations can be calculated from known number of moles and volume.

Have you heard about Henderson-Hasselbalch equation? This is just a rearranged acid dissociation constant used in such cases.

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is

pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA])

However, I don't know the pKa because no constant is given.

Gah. I still don't know what to do.

You'll have to find the constant for NaH2PO4 in some table of values, or look online.

And to get the relevant molarities you will have to know molecular weights. Were they not given? Or the formulae including water of crystallisation, because these usually come as crystals with stoichiometric water such as Na2 HPO4.7H2O and NaH2PO4.H2O (but also sometimes sold anhydrous)? If not given you will have to state your assumption, but it seems a bit ridiculous to give a multiple choice question with incomplete starting data.

Edit: on second thoughts you can eliminate several of those options qualitatively without calculation but not yet obvious to me how you can home in on just one.

Last edited:
I guess OP is expected to assume anhydrous salts. That's the way these questions are usually constructed (whether it makes sense, or not). This way you end with (almost) equimolar solution.

OK if you know they are equimolar and you know one other thing you can say the pH right off. :smile:

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which is pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the dissociation constant of the weak acid, [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base, and [HA] is the concentration of the weak acid.

3. What is the significance of NaH2PO4 and Na2HPO4 in a buffer solution?

NaH2PO4 and Na2HPO4 are both salts that contain a weak acid (H3PO4) and its conjugate base (H2PO4- and HPO4^2-). These salts help maintain the pH of the buffer solution by providing a source of both the weak acid and its conjugate base.

4. Can the pH of a buffer solution be adjusted?

Yes, the pH of a buffer solution can be adjusted by changing the ratio of the weak acid to its conjugate base. This can be done by adding more of either the weak acid or its conjugate base to the solution.

5. How does temperature affect the pH of a buffer solution?

Temperature can affect the dissociation of the weak acid and its conjugate base, and therefore can impact the pH of a buffer solution. Generally, an increase in temperature will result in a decrease in pH, while a decrease in temperature will result in an increase in pH.