Find phasor current (impedance, etc.), finding polar form

In summary: Don't be discouraged. I've been doing this for almost 40 years and I still make silly mistakes. The key is to keep learning from your mistakes and to keep practicing. You'll get there!In summary, we are given a series circuit with a 90Ω resistor, a 32 mH inductor, and a 5μF capacitor connected to a sinusoidal voltage source Vs = 750cos(5000t + 30)V. Using the formula for phasor current i = V/Z, we can calculate the impedance for each component and convert it to polar form. The impedance is found to be 150 ∠ 53.1 degrees. To find the phasor current
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

A 90Ω resistor, a 32 mH inductor, and a 5μF capacitor are connected in series across the terminals of a sinusoidal voltage source Vs = 750cos(5000t + 30)V.

Calculate the phasor current.

Homework Equations

phasor current i = V/Z

V in polar form = (Magnitude)(cos a + j sin a)

Z (inductor) = wLj

Z (capacitor) = -j/ωC

Z (resistor) = r

total impedance = Z inductor + Z capacitor + Z resistorConversion to other form of Z:

Z(mag) = (R2+X2)1/2

Z angle = tan-1(R/X)

from the form Z = R + jx

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how I would convert the voltage to polar form and then I could find the current.

But for the impedance it would be:

ω = 5000,

so, Z (inductor) = 5000*(32 x 10-3) = 160j

Z (capacitor) = -1j/(5000*(5 x 10-6)) = -40j

Z (r) = 90Ω

So Z = 90 +120jΩ

Then to polar form would be

Z(mag) = (R2+X2)1/2

Z(angle) = tan-1(R/X)So Z(mag) = 150

Z(angle) = 36.8 degZ = 150 ∠ 36.8 degrees, for sureNow for the voltage I'm not so sure, but I'm guessing the angle is just 30 so

V = 750∠30 degSo if the voltage is correct then would the phasor current be

I = (750∠30 deg) / (150 ∠ 36.8 deg)

I = (5 ∠ -6.8 deg)A ?Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The polar form of your impedance is not correct. How can the magnitude be less than that of of the individual components that comprise it?

I see. I've edited the original post, so the components were supposed to be squared first then?So what about for converting the voltage now too,I got 150 for the impedance magnitude now.

Is the phasor current then I = 5 ∠ -6.8 deg)A now then?

Last edited:
Color_of_Cyan said:
I see. I've edited the original post, so the components were supposed to be squared first then?

So what about for converting the voltage now too,

I got 150 for the impedance magnitude now.

Is the phasor current then I = 5 ∠ -6.8 deg)A now then?
The magnitude looks fine now, but your angle does not.

So Z = 90 +120jΩ

Then to polar form would be

Z(mag) = (R2+X2)1/2

Z(angle) = tan-1(R/X)

So Z(mag) = 150

Z(angle) = 36.8 deg ##\leftarrow## atan(120/90) = ?

Z = 150 ∠ 36.8 degrees, for sure

Now for the voltage I'm not so sure, but I'm guessing the angle is just 30 so

V = 750∠30 deg

So if the voltage is correct then would the phasor current be

I = (750∠30 deg) / (150 ∠ 36.8 deg)

I = (5 ∠ -6.8 deg)A ?

Be careful to place the imaginary component over the real component to form the tan of the angle for the complex number.

I keep making these silly mistakes ;/ I had the R/X switched around. It's 53.1 deg

So Z = 150 ∠ 53.1 deg then.

So is I = (5 ∠ 16.3 deg)A then? Any other mistakes I made?

Color_of_Cyan said:
I keep making these silly mistakes ;/

I had the R/X switched around. It's 53.1 deg

So Z = 150 ∠ 53.1 deg then.

So is I = (5 ∠ 16.3 deg)A then? Any other mistakes I made?

No, your current angle's not correct. The voltage angle is 30°, the impedance angle is 53.1°. You're calculating E/Z, so how should you handle the angles?

Would I just subtract them? 53.1 - 16.3 would be 23.1 deg then (don't know how I got 16.3, must have subtracted something wrong). So is I is (5 ∠ 23.1 deg)A then.I didn't know that you could just get the angle from the phase in the given voltage so that's why I asked though, thanks.

You do a subtractions, yes, but the order of the operands is important. The sign of your resulting angle is incorrect because you chose to subtract the numerator's angle from the denominator's angle. This is exactly wrong :smile: When you divide in polar form, you subtract the denominator's angle from the numerator's angle.

Alright, so the phasor current I then is

( 5 ∠ -36.8 )A then, right?

Thanks for the help again.

color_of_cyan said:
alright, so the phasor current i then is

( 5 ∠ -36.8 )a then, right?

Thanks for the help again.

30 - 53.1 = -36.8 ?

This is so bad I keep making all those mistakes :( I = (5 ∠ -23.1)A

Color_of_Cyan said:
This is so bad I keep making all those mistakes :(

I = (5 ∠ -23.1)A

That result looks good.

What is a phasor and how is it different from a regular current?

A phasor is a mathematical representation of a sinusoidal waveform, such as an alternating current. It differs from a regular current in that it includes both magnitude and phase information, whereas a regular current only includes magnitude.

How do I find the phasor current in a circuit?

To find the phasor current in a circuit, you need to first determine the impedance of the circuit. This can be done using Ohm's law and complex numbers. Once you have the impedance, you can use the voltage and impedance to calculate the phasor current using the formula I = V/Z, where I is the phasor current, V is the voltage, and Z is the impedance.

What is polar form and how is it used in finding phasor current?

Polar form is a way of representing a complex number using magnitude and angle. In the context of finding phasor current, polar form is used to represent the magnitude and phase information of the phasor current. This allows for easier calculations and graphical representations of the current in a circuit.

What is the significance of finding the phasor current?

The phasor current is important in understanding the behavior of an alternating current in a circuit. It allows for the analysis of current flow and voltage drops in a circuit, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

How does finding the phasor current help in designing circuits?

By finding the phasor current, you can determine the voltage and current requirements for different components in a circuit. This allows for the proper selection of components and the optimization of circuit performance. Additionally, analyzing the phasor current can help identify potential issues and improve the overall efficiency of a circuit.