1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find positions of spring

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    Two discs of masses [tex] m_1 [/tex] and [tex] m_2 [/tex], both of radius R, have centers connected by a spring so that they can roll without slipping. At the initial moment the centers are at [tex] x_1(0) = 0, x_2(0) = 2L_0 [/tex] and have initial speeds [tex] -v_0 [/tex] and [tex] 2v_0 [/tex] respectively. Find their positions at all later times. The unstretched spring has length [tex] L_0 [/tex] and a spring constant
    [tex] k = \frac{9 v_0^2 m_1 m_2}{2 L_0^2 (m_1 + m_2)} [/tex]

I seem to arrive at an equation which does not need the spring constant. Can you start me off ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2007 #2
    First of all, the amount [tex] \Delta l [/tex] of the spring's deformation can be related with the positions [tex] x_1,x_2 [/tex] of the disc. At any instance of time the length of the spring is [tex] L=x_2-x_1 [/tex]. If we assume that the spring is stretched then we have [tex] \begin{equation}\Delta l=L-L_0\Rightarrow \Delta l=x_2-x_1-L_0 \end{equation}[/tex].

Returning to the the diss, if each disc is homogenous then its moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the disc passing through it's center is [tex] I_C=\frac{1}{2}mR^2 [/tex]. When a disc is rolling without slipping we have [tex] a_{CM}=R\,\alpha [/tex].
    Thus for a rolling without slipping 2nd disc, Newton's second law reads
    [tex] \Sigma\tau=I_C\,\alpha\Rightarrow f\,R=\frac{1}{2}mR^2\,\alpha\Rightarrow f=\frac{1}{2}mR\,\alpha \Rightarrow f=\frac{1}{2}m\,a_{CM}[/tex] and
    [tex] \Sigma F=m\,a_{CM}\Rightarrow -k\,\Delta l-f=m\,a_{CM} [/tex]
    where [tex] f [/tex] stands for the friction which is requiried for the rotation.
    Adding the two equations we arrive to
    [tex] -k\,\Delta l=\frac{3}{2}\,m\,\ddot{x}_2 \quad (2)[/tex]
    Likewise for the1st disc we arrive to
    [tex] k\,\Delta l=\frac{3}{2}\,m\,\ddot{x}_1 \quad (3)[/tex]

Adding equations (2),(3) we have

[tex] m_1\,a_1+m_2\,a_2=0\Rightarrow m_1\,\dot{x}_1+m_2\,\dot{x}_2=-m_1\,v_0+2\,m_2\,v_0 \,(conservation\, of\, momentum) \Rightarrow m_1\, x_1+m_2\,x_2=(m_1\,v_0+2\,m_2\,v_0 )\,t+2\,m_2\,L_0 \quad (4)[/tex]

With the help of (1) and (4) we can express [tex]\Delta l [/tex] with respect to [tex] x_1 [/tex] or [tex] x_2 [/tex], e.g.

[tex] \Delta l=(1+\frac{m_2}{m_1})\,x_2+(1-2\,\frac{m_2}{m_1})\,v_0\,t-(1+2\,\frac{m_2}{m_1})\,L_0 \quad (5)[/tex]

Plugging (5) into (2) we can compute [tex] x_2(t) [/tex], and from (4) we have [tex] x_1(t) [/tex]. The results are

[tex] x_1(t)=-\frac{m_2\,L_0}{m_1+m_2}\,(\-1 + \cos \frac{{\sqrt{3}}\,t\,{v_o}}{{L_o}} +
    {\sqrt{3}}\,\sin \frac{{\sqrt{3}}\,t\,{v_o}}{{L_o}})-\frac{ {m_1} - 2\,{m_2} }
    {{m_1} + {m_2}}\,{v_o} \,t [/tex]

[tex] x_2(t)=\frac{m_1\,L_0}{m_1+m_2}\,(\-1 + \cos \frac{{\sqrt{3}}\,t\,{v_o}}{{L_o}} +
    {\sqrt{3}}\,\sin \frac{{\sqrt{3}}\,t\,{v_o}}{{L_o}})-\frac{ {m_1} - 2\,{m_2} }
    {{m_1} + {m_2}}\,{v_o} \,t +\frac{2\,m_2\,L_0}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

Hope, I helped!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?