Find properties of substances?

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation is about finding a website that provides data for common substances' properties, specifically for thermodynamics. The person suggests using the NIST online database, which the other person finds very useful. They also mention another website for thermophysical properties, but note that it may not have as much information as NIST. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for the helpful resources.
dRic2
Hi, I'm pretty good in basic thermodynamics so I know how to make simple predictions of properties of substances like( h, g, cp, ecc...) but I always need some value to start with (e.g. entalpy of formation at 298K, perfect gas). I was wondering if there is a website with this kind of data for the most common substances. I tried using databook (like Perry) but since I mainly use to check homeworks' result I ended up loosing much more time looking for that values rather than finish the exercise. I don't trust wikipedia either because it's never specified the conditions under which the values were estimated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

Have you ever tried NIST online database?

Likes berkeman and dRic2
Mindblowing! That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

You are welcome!

Indeed, it is very useful, but I like it without the interactive display (you can untick the respective box and get table instead of graph).

In case you need the thermophysical properties of air or ethylene glycol, you can also visit this site: http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/old/onlinetools/airprop/airprop.html.
However, you can't have as much information as in NIST (for example enthalpy, entropy, internal energy).

DoItForYourself said:
Indeed, it is very useful, but I like it without the interactive display (you can untick the respective box and get table instead of graph).

I don't know what your are talking about. I just typed some names in the research bar and then clicked on "Thermodynamic Gas Properties" and I got a list of value and even some formulas to make predictions. It is very useful. Thank you again for the help!

Yes, very useful that too. Thanks again! :D

1. What are the main properties of a substance?

The main properties of a substance include physical properties, such as color, density, melting point, and boiling point, as well as chemical properties, such as reactivity, flammability, and toxicity. These properties can help identify and classify substances.

2. How can we determine the properties of a substance?

The properties of a substance can be determined through various methods, including physical tests such as measuring its mass, volume, and temperature, and chemical tests such as conducting reactions with other substances. Advanced techniques such as spectroscopy and chromatography can also be used to analyze substances and determine their properties.

3. Why is it important to know the properties of a substance?

Knowing the properties of a substance is important for a variety of reasons. It can help in identifying unknown substances, determining their potential uses or hazards, and understanding how they react with other substances. Additionally, knowledge of substance properties is crucial in fields such as chemistry, medicine, and environmental science.

4. Can the properties of a substance change?

Yes, the properties of a substance can change under certain conditions. For example, a substance may change from solid to liquid to gas as its temperature increases, or it may undergo a chemical reaction that alters its properties. However, some properties, such as molecular structure, remain constant.

5. How do the properties of a substance affect its behavior?

The properties of a substance can greatly influence how it behaves in different situations. For instance, the density of a substance can determine whether it will sink or float in a liquid, and the reactivity of a substance can dictate how it will interact with other substances. Understanding these properties can help predict and control the behavior of substances in various settings.