Find psi(x,t) when psi(x,0)= Ae^(-x^2/a^2) and A, a are real constants

In summary, after finding Ψ(x,0) and Ψ(x,t) using equations 1 and 2, we can manipulate Ψ(x,t) to get exp-(Ax2+Bx) by comparing it to $$(a-b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2$$ and solving for a and b. This will allow us to complete the square and obtain Ψ(x,t) in a more manageable form.
Moolisa
Homework Statement
Consider a free particle whose state at t=0 given by the gaussian wave packet. Find psi(x,t)
Relevant Equations
Gaussian wave packet at t=0, More equations in attempt at solution
Annotation 2019-11-10 140658.jpg

20191110_150837.jpg
EQ 1: Ψ(x,0)= Ae-x2/a2

A. Find Ψ(x,0)

So I normalized Ψ(x,0) by squaring the function, set it equal to 1 and getting an A

I. A=(2/π)¼ (1/√a)

B. To find Ψ(x,t)

EQ:2
Ψ(x,t)= 1/(√2π) ∫ ∅(k) ei(kx-ωt)dk --------->when ω=(ħk2)/2m and integral from -∞ to +∞
EQ 3: ∅(k)= 1/(√2π) ∫ Ψ(x,0) e-ikxdx -------> integral from -∞ to +∞, i is an imaginary number

Using eq3 to find ∅(k), I got

∅(k)=(2π)1/4 (√a) e-(ka)2/4

Using Eq2, I got
II. Ψ(x,t)=(2π)-3/4 (√a) ∫ e-k2(a2/4 -iht/(2m)) +ikx dk -------> integral from -∞ to +∞

But, in the formula to complete the square

∫ e-(Ax2+Bx dx= (π/A) eB2/4AI don't know how to manipulate II in order to get exp-(Ax2+Bx). That placement of the negative in II makes me think I either normalized it wrong in part a or I messed up somewhere and don't know where.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have set up integrals correctly,we have:
$$e^{-(k^2 y^2-ikx)}$$ where ##y^2= a^2/4-iht/2m##

Now compare $$(a-b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2$$ with terms in bracket to get value of ##a## and ##b## and use it to complete square

Likes Moolisa
Abhishek11235 said:
Assuming you have set up integrals correctly,we have:
$$e^{-(k^2 y^2-ikx)}$$ where ##y^2= a^2/4-iht/2m##

Now compare $$(a-b)^2=a^2-2ab+b^2$$ with terms in bracket to get value of ##a## and ##b## and use it to complete square

Thank you! I thought I replied when you first posted this 10 days ago, but this really helped!

1. What is the meaning of psi(x,t)?

Psi(x,t) represents the wave function of a quantum mechanical system at a particular position (x) and time (t). It is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a given position and time.

2. How is psi(x,t) related to the initial condition psi(x,0)?

The initial condition psi(x,0) represents the wave function at time t=0. It is used to determine the time evolution of the wave function, psi(x,t), using the Schrodinger equation. In this case, the initial condition is a Gaussian function with a peak at x=0.

3. How do the constants A and a affect the shape of the wave function psi(x,t)?

The constant A affects the amplitude of the wave function, while the constant a affects the width of the Gaussian curve. A larger A value results in a taller peak, while a smaller a value results in a wider curve.

4. Can psi(x,t) be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific position and time?

Yes, the probability of finding a particle at a specific position and time can be calculated by taking the absolute value squared of psi(x,t). This is known as the probability density function and represents the likelihood of finding a particle at a given position and time.

5. How can the wave function psi(x,t) be visualized?

The wave function psi(x,t) can be visualized using a 3-dimensional graph, with x and t on the axes and the height representing the amplitude of the wave function at a given position and time. It can also be plotted as a 2-dimensional graph, with x on the x-axis and psi(x,t) on the y-axis, to show how it changes over time at a specific position.