1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find q for a moving particle

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A moving particle encounters an external electric field that decreases its kinetic energy from 8560 eV to 6770 eV as the particle moves from position A to position B. The electric potential at A is -50.5 V, and the electric potential at B is +25.9 V. Determine the charge of the particle. Include the algebraic sign (+ or −) with your answer.

2. Relevant equations
    V=EPE/q, EPE=qEx=KE

3. The attempt at a solution
    ΔKE/ΔV=q
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Rae_4, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you have a particular question about the problem? You seem to be on the right track with your attempt.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    Yeah. I'm trying that formula, but it keeps telling me my answer is incorrect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. When I attempt the practice version it is trying to tell me the answer is times 10^-18 and nothing I have in that formula would give me a number that small. Are my formulas incorrect?

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The energy is given in eV. The charge of an electron is 1.6021765 × 10 −19 coulomb. That's pretty small.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    Figured it out. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook