Find radiated energie using Parseval Theorem

• Thread starter tsumi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, to use Parseval's theorem in this case, you need to find the Fourier transform of the given electric field function and use it in the equation ∫ |E(t)|^2 dt = (1/2π) ∫ |E(ω)|^2 dω to calculate the total radiated energy in the given interval of frequencies. You can use the definition of the Fourier transform and the fact that the Fourier transform of a product of two functions is equal to the convolution of their individual Fourier transforms.
tsumi

Homework Statement

A radiated wave has electrical field:

E = e^-t/τ sen(ω0t) for t>0 and 0 for t<0

Using Parseval Theorem calculate the radiated energie in the intervale of frequencies: (ω,ω+dω)

Homework Equations

Parseval Theorem: ∫ |E(t)|^2 dt = (1/2π) ∫ |E(ω)|^2 dω

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about what is demanded. Am I simply supposed to find E(ω)? To do so I make E(t).E*(t) to get |E(t)|^2, integrate, and then how do I get to E(ω)?

Thank you for any attention

Physics news on Phys.org
.Hello,

To use Parseval's theorem in this case, you need to first find the Fourier transform of the given electric field function, E(t). The Fourier transform is defined as:

E(ω) = ∫ E(t) e^(-iωt) dt

Once you have the Fourier transform, you can use Parseval's theorem to calculate the total radiated energy in the given interval of frequencies. The equation you provided is correct, but it is missing a factor of 2π in the denominator.

So, the correct equation using Parseval's theorem would be:

∫ |E(t)|^2 dt = (1/2π) ∫ |E(ω)|^2 dω

where E(ω) is the Fourier transform of E(t).

To find E(ω), you can use the definition of the Fourier transform and the given electric field function. You can also use the fact that the Fourier transform of a product of two functions is equal to the convolution of their individual Fourier transforms.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarification.

1. What is the Parseval Theorem?

The Parseval Theorem is a mathematical principle that states the total energy of a signal can be calculated by integrating the squared magnitude of its frequency spectrum. It is also known as the energy conservation law in signal processing.

2. How does the Parseval Theorem relate to radiated energy?

The Parseval Theorem can be used to calculate the total radiated energy of a signal by integrating the squared magnitude of its frequency spectrum. This is useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is important to know the amount of energy being transmitted through a system.

3. What is the equation for calculating radiated energy using the Parseval Theorem?

The equation for calculating radiated energy using the Parseval Theorem is E = ∫|X(f)|² df, where E is the total energy, X(f) is the frequency spectrum of the signal, and the integral is taken over all frequencies.

4. Can the Parseval Theorem be applied to all types of signals?

Yes, the Parseval Theorem can be applied to all types of signals, including continuous and discrete signals. However, in some cases, the calculation may involve using a discrete version of the theorem, depending on the nature of the signal.

5. What are the limitations of using the Parseval Theorem to calculate radiated energy?

The Parseval Theorem assumes that the signal is time-limited, meaning that it has a finite duration. If the signal is not time-limited, the theorem may not provide an accurate calculation of the radiated energy. Additionally, the theorem does not take into account external factors that may affect the energy of the signal, such as noise or interference.