Football Trajectory: Radius & Speed Rate of Change

In summary, the problem involves a football player releasing a ball at an angle of 35° with an initial velocity of 80 ft/sec. The objective is to determine the radius of curvature of the trajectory at times t = 1 sec and t = 2 sec, where t = 0 is the time of release from the quarterback's hand. The book provides the following answers: at t = 1, p = 142.2 ft and at = -6.58 ft/sec^2, and at t = 2, p = 149.7 ft and at = 8.75 ft/sec^2. The equations used to solve this problem include an = v^2/ρ, at = dv/d
bkw2694

Homework Statement

A football player releases a ball at 35° with initial velocity of 80 ft/sec. Determine the radius of curvature of the trajectory at times t = 1 sec and t = 2 sec, where t = 0 is the time of release from the quarterback's hand. For each case, compute the time rate of change of the speed.

Book answers: at t = 1: p = 142.2 ft, at = -6.58 ft/sec^2
at t = 2: p = 149.7 ft, at = 8.75 ft/sec^2

Homework Equations

an = v^2/ρ
at = dv/dt = acceleration in tangential direction
v = ρ(dΘ/dt)
a = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about how to tackle a problem like this that involves specific times. In class and in all the homework up to this point we haven't had an example of how to approach these types of problems, but I'm guessing there's a derivative or integral that I'm not seeing or understanding that's killing me, but the closest thing I could come up with is:

magnitude of acceleration = g = 32.2 ft/sec^2
v = ρ(dΘ/dt), which I split into: v dt = ρ dΘ.
I then made an integral: ∫(from 0 to t) 80 dt = ρ ∫(from 0 to 35*π/180) dΘ.
This gave me 80t = (.6109)ρ, when t = 1 gives me ρ = 131 ft.
I then tried solving for an with v^2/ρ, which gave me an = 48.87, which can't be possible as it makes magnitude a = g false...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bkw2694 said:

Homework Statement

A football player releases a ball at 35° with initial velocity of 80 ft/sec. Determine the radius of curvature of the trajectory at times t = 1 sec and t = 2 sec, where t = 0 is the time of release from the quarterback's hand. For each case, compute the time rate of change of the speed.

Book answers: at t = 1: p = 142.2 ft, at = -6.58 ft/sec^2
at t = 2: p = 149.7 ft, at = 8.75 ft/sec^2

Homework Equations

an = v^2/ρ
at = dv/dt = acceleration in tangential direction
v = ρ(dΘ/dt)
a = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused about how to tackle a problem like this that involves specific times. In class and in all the homework up to this point we haven't had an example of how to approach these types of problems, but I'm guessing there's a derivative or integral that I'm not seeing or understanding that's killing me, but the closest thing I could come up with is:

magnitude of acceleration = g = 32.2 ft/sec^2
v = ρ(dΘ/dt), which I split into: v dt = ρ dΘ.
I then made an integral: ∫(from 0 to t) 80 dt = ρ ∫(from 0 to 35*π/180) dΘ.
This gave me 80t = (.6109)ρ, when t = 1 gives me ρ = 131 ft.
I then tried solving for an with v^2/ρ, which gave me an = 48.87, which can't be possible as it makes magnitude a = g false...

Thanks in advance.
You are assuming that the football follows a circular arc after it leaves the player's hand. This may not be a valid assumption.

BTW, there is a mathematical definition of radius of curvature, which you should know:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

I would evaluate the football's trajectory just like any other projectile motion problem, and apply the definition of radius of curvature as given in the linked article.

Likes bkw2694
I would determine an first, and then use an = v2/ρ to get the radius of curvature.

Likes bkw2694
SteamKing said:
You are assuming that the football follows a circular arc after it leaves the player's hand. This may not be a valid assumption.

BTW, there is a mathematical definition of radius of curvature, which you should know:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RadiusofCurvature.html

I would evaluate the football's trajectory just like any other projectile motion problem, and apply the definition of radius of curvature as given in the linked article.

So if it isn't following a circular arc, this means that ρ is changing, correct? Or is it that Θ is changing and causing ρ to change?

Also, I see the radius of curvature equation is: [1+(dy/dx)^2]^(3/2) / [(d^2y/dx^2)]. But I don't understand how to make that apply to this particular question since I'm not given any equation for y(x) or x(y).

bkw2694 said:
So if it isn't following a circular arc, this means that ρ is changing, correct? Or is it that Θ is changing and causing ρ to change?

Like most projectiles thrown in a gravity field (ignoring air resistance), the ball's trajectory is going to be a parabola, rather than a circle. This is why I suggested that the path of the ball be analyzed like projectiles in general, without making unnecessary assumptions about the trajectory.

In short, the R.O.C. of the ball's path will be changing w.r.t. time and will not be a constant like it would if its path were in fact circular.

Also, I see the radius of curvature equation is: [1+(dy/dx)^2]^(3/2) / [(d^2y/dx^2)]. But I don't understand how to make that apply to this particular question since I'm not given any equation for y(x) or x(y).

Pay attention to the formula for the radius of curvature where x and y are functions of time, IOW, x = x(t) and y = y(t).

By analyzing the trajectory of the football, you should be able to determine the coordinates of the ball's trajectory at the times requested, along with any time derivatives which are required to calculate the R.O.C.

Likes bkw2694
SteamKing said:
Like most projectiles thrown in a gravity field (ignoring air resistance), the ball's trajectory is going to be a parabola, rather than a circle. This is why I suggested that the path of the ball be analyzed like projectiles in general, without making unnecessary assumptions about the trajectory.

In short, the R.O.C. of the ball's path will be changing w.r.t. time and will not be a constant like it would if its path were in fact circular.
Pay attention to the formula for the radius of curvature where x and y are functions of time, IOW, x = x(t) and y = y(t).

By analyzing the trajectory of the football, you should be able to determine the coordinates of the ball's trajectory at the times requested, along with any time derivatives which are required to calculate the R.O.C.

Yeah, sorry, I just now realized what you meant and used the normal projectile equations to find ρ. By using the correct formula, I ended up getting ρ at t=1 is 142.19 ft.

So now the only problem I'm having is I can't seem to work out the correct at. Am I wrong in assuming that the magnitude of acceleration = g? Or does that change as well? Because I tried solving for an with 80^2/142.19 = 45.01, then substituting that into a = sqrt(an^2 + at^2) and it's giving me a way off answer.

What angle does the velocity vector make to the horizontal at t = 1 s?
What angle does the acceleration vector make to the normal direction at t = 1 s?
bkw2694 said:
Am I wrong in assuming that the magnitude of acceleration = g?
Yes, the magnitude of the acceleration vector must be g.

Last edited:
Likes bkw2694
bkw2694 said:
Yeah, sorry, I just now realized what you meant and used the normal projectile equations to find ρ. By using the correct formula, I ended up getting ρ at t=1 is 142.19 ft.

So now the only problem I'm having is I can't seem to work out the correct at. Am I wrong in assuming that the magnitude of acceleration = g? Or does that change as well? Because I tried solving for an with 80^2/142.19 = 45.01, then substituting that into a = sqrt(an^2 + at^2) and it's giving me a way off answer.
Now that you have calculated the R.O.C. of the ball's path at a particular time, you can assume for a brief instant that its path approximates that of a circle with a radius = R.O.C. In that case, knowing the tangential velocity and the R.O.C., you should be able to use the circular motion equations and calculate the tangential acceleration of the ball.

TSny said:
What angle does the velocity vector make to the horizontal at t = 1 s?
What angle does the acceleration vector make to the normal direction at t = 1 s?

Yes, the magnitude of the acceleration vector must be g.

Okay, so I can see that the angle will be getting smaller, but I'm not sure what equation to use to figure this one out. Is this just a projectile equation I'm overlooking or is there calculus involved here?

Since I knew the answer from the book I worked backwards and found an, then solved to see what the velocity should be, which is 66.96 ft/sec.

bkw2694 said:
Okay, so I can see that the angle will be getting smaller, but I'm not sure what equation to use to figure this one out. Is this just a projectile equation I'm overlooking or is there calculus involved here?

Since I knew the answer from the book I worked backwards and found an, then solved to see what the velocity should be, which is 66.96 ft/sec.
In case it is not clear from the other posts, you are asked for the rate of change of speed, whereas g is the magnitude of the rate of change of velocity. For the rate of change of speed you need to restrict to the tangential acceleration. How might you derive that from g?

Likes bkw2694
haruspex said:
In case it is not clear from the other posts, you are asked for the rate of change of speed, whereas g is the magnitude of the rate of change of velocity. For the rate of change of speed you need to restrict to the tangential acceleration. How might you derive that from g?

Okay, so I used trigonometry to find at = gcos(Θ). And I suppose I can use the same thing to find an = -gsin(Θ). I tried plugging those into a = sqrt(an^2 + at^2), but I think that causes the Θ to disappear due to sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.

^whoops, I mixed those two up, at = -gsin(Θ); an = gcos(Θ)

It's basically just a projectile motion problem with the additional formula an = v2/ρ. You know the magnitude of the acceleration. Therefore, you can find the normal component if you know the angle between the acceleration vector and the normal direction. How is the normal direction related to the velocity direction? How can you get the direction of the velocity vector?

Likes bkw2694
bkw2694 said:

If x = x(t) and y = y(t), show using the above equation for the radius of curvature that:

$$R=\frac{\left[\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2\right]^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\left[\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}\right]}$$

Chet

Likes bkw2694
I must be solving for v (when t = 4) incorrectly. a_n = v^2/p, but when I try doing v = 80cos(theta), then plug gcos(theta) = (80cos(theta))^2/142.2 I end up with theta = 44.3 degrees, but I know the correct answer should be more like 11 degrees.

bkw2694 said:
I must be solving for v (when t = 4) incorrectly.
Did you mean t = 1?
a_n = v^2/p, but when I try doing v = 80cos(theta), then plug gcos(theta) = (80cos(theta))^2/142.2 ...
I don't follow what you are doing here. In the equation an = v2/ρ, v is the speed of the particle: v = (vx2+ vy2)1/2.
So you can get v at t = 1 s if you first determine vx and vy at t = 1 s using standard projectile motion equations.

Last edited:
Likes bkw2694
TSny said:
Did you mean t = 1?

I don't follow what you are doing here. In the equation an = v2/ρ, v is the speed of the particle: v = (vx2+ vy2)1/2.
So you can get v at t = 1 s if you first determine vx and vy at t = 1 s using standard projectile motion equations.

Sorry, I one of my other HW problems had t = 4 so I screwed that up.

Okay, I figured out my problem. Aside from using the wrong time, I was also using the wrong v. I was using v = 80cosθ, but v was obviously 80 ft/sec and provided as the initial velocity. The incorrect v value with cosθ was giving me some crazy answers and really throwing me off.

Huge thanks to everyone in this thread for bearing with me on this one. Now that I see how easy this problem actually was I'm really sorry for taking up everyone's time, but I really appreciated it!

What is the definition of football trajectory?

Football trajectory refers to the path that a football takes when it is kicked or thrown. It is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity, angle of release, and air resistance.

How does the radius affect football trajectory?

The radius, or distance from the center of the football to its outer edge, can affect the trajectory of a football. A larger radius can result in a greater moment of inertia, making the football more stable in flight and less susceptible to changes in direction due to external forces.

What is the speed rate of change in relation to football trajectory?

The speed rate of change, also known as acceleration, is the measure of how quickly the speed of a football changes over time. It is an important factor in determining the trajectory of a football as it affects the distance and direction it travels.

How can the radius and speed rate of change be calculated for a football?

The radius of a football can be measured directly using a ruler or caliper. The speed rate of change can be calculated using the change in speed over a specific time interval, which can be measured using a stopwatch or other timing device.

What impact does air resistance have on football trajectory?

Air resistance, or drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a football. As the football moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down and change direction. This can be minimized by using a streamlined football or adjusting the angle of release.