1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find resistance and power

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

resistance_zpsabfe4bea.jpg

2. Relevant equations

current = (emf)/(resistance)

power = (Capacitance)(Voltage)/ (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

i might be misunderstanding the question but when in part A when it says 5V across it, does it mean if the emf was 5 V instead of the given 12 V?

current = (5V)/(270 ohm)
    current = .04 Amperes

current is same in a capacitors

.04 = 5V(Resistance_2)
    Resistance = 120 ohms

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. It does not mean that you replace the 12V with 5V.

Do you know Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws?

In this series circuit, the sum of the voltage drops across the resistors is equal to the emf of the battery.

According to Ohm's Law, the voltage drop across a resistor of resistance, R, which has current, I, flowing through it is I∙R .

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3
    charges gain energy at emf and lose energy in resistors. what you stated previously would mean the voltage drop is 12 V. i thought you would only use kirchhoff's law if there is more than one emf or if the circuit is connected in a complex way

let see at emf there is a gain of 12 V. part a says 5 V across so thats a 5 V voltage drop in R_2. that would also mean a 7 V drop in R_1. since a gain of 12 V added with (-12 V drop) must sum to zero based on the kirchhoff's law

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. Dec 19, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A voltage drop of 5V across R2 means there is a voltage drop of 7V across R1 because the source emf is 12V .

6. Dec 20, 2012 #5
    yes that is right. apparently I need to draw a CW(Clock wise loop to represent the state of emf) in this region of the circuit

i noticed I also need to find power dissipation which are in joules. which would mean I cannot used the stored energy equation. how would I go about finding power dissipation?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. Dec 20, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have a textbook or notes? This is very basic stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook