1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Resistance one and two

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the voltage divider circuit below. The output voltage is with V0 =20v with RL removed ( RL= ∞Ω) from the circuit. With RL in the circuit and RL=380Ω , the output voltage is V 0=19.192 v . Determine values for R1 and R2. I attached a picture of the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For RL=∞Ω
    20=100((R1)/(R1+R2))

For RL=380Ω
    19.192=(100)((380//R2)/(380//R2)+R1))

Am I on the right track with this? I tried to make a substitution by solving for R1, but it came out really messed up.
    Is there a better way to work this problem?

Here is the answer: R1=80Ω R2=20Ω

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your approach looks fine, but check your voltage divider equation for the unloaded circuit. The output is across R2, right?

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3
    Ohh ok! I fixed my unloaded circuit equation and came up with R1=4R2

I think something might be wrong with my RL=380Ω equation though. I substituted R1=4R2 and wound up with -497.56. I've redone my algebra three times and keep getting the wrong answer.

5. Sep 30, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes when you hit a barrier due to a slip you can't see, it can help to change the approach slightly to take a different path to the solution. Why not try first reducing the voltage and R1, R2 to a Thevenin equivalent? You'll have two expressions for Vth and Rth (involving R1 and R2) but the result will be a purely series connected circuit.

6. Sep 30, 2015 #5
    Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted