Finding R1 and R2 in a Voltage Divider Circuit

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for values of R1 and R2 in a voltage divider circuit with different loads. The solution involves finding the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit and simplifying the problem to a purely series connected circuit.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Consider the voltage divider circuit below. The output voltage is with V0 =20v with RL removed ( RL= ∞Ω) from the circuit. With RL in the circuit and RL=380Ω , the output voltage is V 0=19.192 v . Determine values for R1 and R2. I attached a picture of the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For RL=∞Ω
20=100((R1)/(R1+R2))

For RL=380Ω
19.192=(100)((380//R2)/(380//R2)+R1))

Am I on the right track with this? I tried to make a substitution by solving for R1, but it came out really messed up.
Is there a better way to work this problem?

Here is the answer: R1=80Ω R2=20Ω

Attachments

• scan0003.pdf
    195.4 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks fine, but check your voltage divider equation for the unloaded circuit. The output is across R2, right?

Likes jdawg
Ohh ok! I fixed my unloaded circuit equation and came up with R1=4R2

I think something might be wrong with my RL=380Ω equation though. I substituted R1=4R2 and wound up with -497.56. I've redone my algebra three times and keep getting the wrong answer.

Sometimes when you hit a barrier due to a slip you can't see, it can help to change the approach slightly to take a different path to the solution. Why not try first reducing the voltage and R1, R2 to a Thevenin equivalent? You'll have two expressions for Vth and Rth (involving R1 and R2) but the result will be a purely series connected circuit.

Likes jdawg
Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of "Find Resistance one and two"?

The purpose of "Find Resistance one and two" is to measure the resistance of a circuit or device. This is important in understanding how electricity flows through a system and can help in troubleshooting and improving the efficiency of electronic devices.

2. How do you calculate resistance using "Find Resistance one and two"?

The resistance can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. "Find Resistance one and two" provides the necessary tools to measure voltage and current, allowing for easy calculation of resistance.

3. What is the difference between "Find Resistance one" and "Find Resistance two"?

"Find Resistance one" is typically used for measuring the resistance of a single component or circuit, while "Find Resistance two" is used for more complex circuits with multiple components. "Find Resistance two" often has additional features, such as the ability to measure resistance in different parts of the circuit.

4. Can "Find Resistance one and two" be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, "Find Resistance one and two" can be used for all types of circuits, as long as the necessary voltage and current measurements can be taken. However, for more complex circuits, "Find Resistance two" may be more suitable due to its additional features.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of electronics to use "Find Resistance one and two"?

Although prior knowledge of electronics can be helpful, it is not necessary to use "Find Resistance one and two". The device typically comes with instructions and user-friendly features that allow anyone to measure resistance accurately. However, understanding basic concepts such as voltage, current, and resistance can make the process easier.