1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find states for the angular momentum j = 2 from two independent subsystems with j = 1

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two independent subsystems with angular momenta j1 = j2 = 1. States have to be found for the whole system with angular momentum j = 2.

2. Relevant equations

Basic procedure for addition of Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically j = j1 + j2

I go through the states starting with 2 using the equations in the guide.
    So basically we are limited to states
    |2, 2>
    |2, 1>, |1, 1>
    |2, 0>, |1, 0>, |0, 0>

But I'm not sure if it's the right way to go through the states. Also, maybe there are better guides since I'm not even sure if this one applies to the problem. I'm looking into Clebsch–Gordan coefficients at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Find states for the angular momentum j = 2 from two independent subsystems with j

What do you mean "the right way to go through the states"?

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3
    Re: Find states for the angular momentum j = 2 from two independent subsystems with j

Well I have found that there are 2*2+1 = 9 states which are |2, 2>, |2, 1>, |2, 0>, |2, -1>, |2, -2>, |1, 1>, |1, 0>, |1, -1>, |0, 0>.
    In 'big O' notation,
    1X1 = 2+1+0+|-1|+|-2|
    3*3 = 9
    So these seem to be all the possible states. I'm not sure if it means I have found all the states. I'm not sure how they have come up with
    \ket{j, j-1} = \sqrt{j_1 \over j} \ket{j_1, j_1-1, j_2, j_2} + \sqrt{j_2 \over j} \ket{j_1, j_1, j_2, j_2 - 1}

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The states with total angular momentum j=2 are |2, 2>, |2, 1>, |2, 0>, |2, -1>, and |2, -2>. You're probably expected to find them in terms of the eigenstates of J1 and J2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook