Add. Angular Momentum: Finding j=2 States

In summary, we are tasked with finding states for a system with total angular momentum j=2, composed of two independent subsystems with angular momenta j1 = j2 = 1. We can use the basic procedure for addition of angular momentum in quantum mechanics to find these states. This involves finding the possible combinations of eigenstates for J1 and J2, which in this case are |2, 2>, |2, 1>, |2, 0>, |2, -1>, and |2, -2>.
Zero86

Homework Statement

There are two independent subsystems with angular momenta j1 = j2 = 1. States have to be found for the whole system with angular momentum j = 2.

Homework Equations

Basic procedure for addition of Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically j = j1 + j2

I go through the states starting with 2 using the equations in the guide.
So basically we are limited to states
|2, 2>
|2, 1>, |1, 1>
|2, 0>, |1, 0>, |0, 0>

But I'm not sure if it's the right way to go through the states. Also, maybe there are better guides since I'm not even sure if this one applies to the problem. I'm looking into Clebsch–Gordan coefficients at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What do you mean "the right way to go through the states"?

Well I have found that there are 2*2+1 = 9 states which are |2, 2>, |2, 1>, |2, 0>, |2, -1>, |2, -2>, |1, 1>, |1, 0>, |1, -1>, |0, 0>.
In 'big O' notation,
1X1 = 2+1+0+|-1|+|-2|
3*3 = 9
So these seem to be all the possible states. I'm not sure if it means I have found all the states. I'm not sure how they have come up with
\ket{j, j-1} = \sqrt{j_1 \over j} \ket{j_1, j_1-1, j_2, j_2} + \sqrt{j_2 \over j} \ket{j_1, j_1, j_2, j_2 - 1}

The states with total angular momentum j=2 are |2, 2>, |2, 1>, |2, 0>, |2, -1>, and |2, -2>. You're probably expected to find them in terms of the eigenstates of J1 and J2.

Great job starting with the basic procedure for adding angular momentum in quantum mechanics! Your approach is on the right track. Yes, you are correct that the total angular momentum of the system, j, can take on values of 2, 1, or 0. And the states for the whole system will be a combination of the states for the individual subsystems.

To find the specific states for the whole system with j=2, you can use the Clebsch–Gordan coefficients. These coefficients relate the individual subsystem states to the total system states. You can use the Clebsch-Gordan table to determine the allowed combinations of j1 and j2 that will give you a total angular momentum of j=2.

For example, using the table, you can see that the combination of j1=1 and j2=1 will give you j=2. This means that the state |2,2> is allowed for the total system. Similarly, you can use the table to find the other allowed combinations of j1 and j2 that will give you a total angular momentum of j=2. This will give you a total of six states, as you have listed above.

Overall, your approach is correct and using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients will help you find the specific states for the whole system with j=2. Keep in mind that there may be other guides or methods for solving this problem, but using the basic procedure and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is a good approach.

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has around a fixed axis. It is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe many phenomena, including the motion of planets, the behavior of subatomic particles, and the stability of rotating systems.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, and can be different for different axes of rotation.

3. What are j=2 states and why are they significant?

j=2 states refer to the quantum states of an atom or particle that have an angular momentum quantum number of 2. These states are significant because they have distinct energy levels and can be used to explain the spectral lines observed in atomic and molecular spectra.

4. How do you find j=2 states?

To find j=2 states, you can use the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which are mathematical values that describe the relationship between two angular momentum states. These coefficients are used to combine two angular momenta to get a third one, such as combining two j=1 states to get a j=2 state.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding j=2 states?

Understanding j=2 states has many real-life applications, such as in the design of MRI machines, which use j=2 states to manipulate the spin of atomic nuclei in order to produce images of the body's tissues. These states are also important in understanding the behavior of atoms in magnetic fields, and in studying the properties of molecules in chemistry and materials science.