Find symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes

I assumed it because of how y and z cancel each other out. Plus i kinda knew that x held constant and y & z covers all integers =P (oops)Yes, that's right. I was just pointing out that you have to be careful when doing this that you don't accidentally assume something that you shouldn't.
smize

Homework Statement

Find symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes
The planes:
5x - 2y - 2z = 1
4x + y + z = 6

Homework Equations

r = r0 + tv
x = x0 + at
y = y0 + bt
z = z0 + ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this in many different manners and would like to find a way to the solution. The answer is:

x = 1, y - 2 = - z

The book doesn't have a good example for this problem, and as classes haven't started for me, I have no notes from lectures (i need to learn this for another class...taking 2 classes in which 1 is a prereq for the other). Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
smize said:

Homework Statement

The planes:
5x - 2y - 2z = 1
4x + y + z = 6

I know you put what you were looking for in your thread title, but you really should also include the full problem statement in the first section of your post in future threads. Just writing two equations, does not qualify as a complete problem statement.

I have attempted this in many different manners and would like to find a way to the solution. The answer is:

x = 1, y - 2 = - z

I'm not sure exactly what makes the equations in the given answer symmetric (as implied by your thread title), but realize that any point [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] that lies on the line of intersection of two planes will simultaneously satisfy the equations of both planes. How do you normally solve a system of simultaneous equations?

gabbagabbahey said:
I know you put what you were looking for in your thread title, but you really should also include the full problem statement in the first section of your post in future threads. Just writing two equations, does not qualify as a complete problem statement.

I fixed it, thank-you.

gabbagabbahey said:
I'm not sure exactly what makes the equations in the given answer symmetric (as implied by your thread title), but realize that any point [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] that lies on the line of intersection of two planes will simultaneously satisfy the equations of both planes. How do you normally solve a system of simultaneous equations?

We're apparently supposed to be using the cross product of the two normal vectors of the planes (which gives the same vector as the intersection line, just parallel). It doesn't give me a point, and I can't figure out how they got that specific answer.

Would that be the only answer? Or is there more than one answer (i spent 2 hours on this problem today after spending only 20-30 minutes on the other 20 problems in the lesson).

smize said:
We're apparently supposed to be using the cross product of the two normal vectors of the planes

Why do you say that? Does the full problem statement tell you to use that method?

I can't figure out how they got that specific answer.

If I gave you the system of equations [itex]x+2y = 1[/itex] and [itex]2x+6y = 4[/itex], could you solve it for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
Why do you say that? Does the full problem statement tell you to use that method?

It's what the chapter & lesson is about.

gabbagabbahey said:
If I gave you the system of equations [itex]x+2y = 1[/itex] and [itex]2x+6y = 4[/itex], could you solve it for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]?

x = -1
y = 1

5x - 2y - 2z = 1
4x + y + z = 6

So, for z = 0,

5x - 2y = 1
4x + y = 6

5x - 2y = 1
+ 8x + 2y = 12

13x = 13

x = 1

4 + y + z = 6
y + z = 2
y - 2 = -z

Thanks =D So just set up a simple system of equations? I thought I tried that -.- I must have set it up wrong. Thank-you though!

smize said:
5x - 2y - 2z = 1
4x + y + z = 6

So, for z = 0,

5x - 2y = 1
4x + y = 6

Careful, when you do this you are assuming that z=0 is on the line of intersection (it is in this case, but you have no reason to assume it beforehand). Instead, just add 2 times the second equation to the first equation if you want to get rid of [itex]z[/itex].

I assumed it because of how y and z cancel each other out. Plus i kinda knew that x held constant and y & z covers all integers =P (oops)

What are symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes?

The symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes are equations that describe the coordinates of points on the line using parameters.

How do you find the line of intersection of two planes?

To find the line of intersection of two planes, you can set the equations of the planes equal to each other and solve for the variables. The resulting equations will be the symmetric equations for the line of intersection.

What information is needed to find the symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes?

You will need the equations of the two planes in order to find the symmetric equations for the line of intersection. These equations can be in either standard or parametric form.

What is the significance of the symmetric equations for the line of intersection?

The symmetric equations for the line of intersection allow you to easily find points on the line and determine its direction. This information is useful in many applications, such as in 3D geometry and physics problems.

Can the symmetric equations for the line of intersection be used to find the distance between the two planes?

Yes, the distance between the two planes can be found using the symmetric equations for the line of intersection. By setting one of the parameters to a specific value, you can find a point on the line that lies on a perpendicular line between the two planes. The distance between this point and the origin will be the distance between the two planes.