Calculating Time Dilation in Inertial Frames

In summary, the problem involves a rocket traveling at a speed of 0.6c passing by a clock tower on Earth. The question is asking for the time it takes for a wrist-watch on board the rocket to register 10 seconds, and also the time it takes for the clock in the tower to register the same 10 seconds. The formula used is t = t_0 * sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where t_0 is the time measured by the inertial observer and t is the time recorded on the moving clock. In the first question, t_0 is the time on the tower and t is on the rocket, while in the second question, t_0 is on the rocket and t
gztiger

Homework Statement

A rocket travels in a straight line with speed 0.6c, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum. A wrist-watch is on board the rocket. The rocket moves past a clock tower on the earth.

a. In the inertial frame where the tower is at rest, how long does it take the watch (on board the rocket) to register 10 s?

b. In the inertial frame where the rocket is at rest, how long does it take the clock in the tower to register 10s?

Homework Equations

I don't remember

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve the time for the inertial frame

Physics news on Phys.org
gztiger said:

Homework Equations

I don't remember

Do you have a textbook?

yes, I do, but I don't have the textbook with me right now.
However, I remember one of the formula, but not too sure about it.

t=t0*sqaure root(1-v^2/c^2)

I am not sure if the t or the t0 should be switch on the place or not, which the t0 is the t knot as the way how my professor said it.

Also, I have question is how do I know if I'm looking for the "t0", which is the t knot, or the "t" itself. My lab professor told me that if the inertial frame is on the tower and is asking for the time on the tower, then I would be looking for the t0, which is the t knot; if the inertial frame is on the tower, but is asking the time on the rocket, then it would be t? I don't know how to distinguish the difference on this.

Please help!

Last edited:
gztiger said:
yes, I do, but I don't have the textbook with me right now.
However, I remember one of the formula, but not too sure about it.

t=t0*sqaure root(1-v^2/c^2)

I am not sure if the t or the t0 should be switch on the place or not, which the t0 is the t knot as the way how my professor said it.

Also, I have question is how do I know if I'm looking for the "t0", which is the t knot, or the "t" itself. My lab professor told me that if the inertial frame is on the tower and is asking for the time on the tower, then I would be looking for the t0, which is the t knot; if the inertial frame is on the tower, but is asking the time on the rocket, then it would be t? I don't know how to distinguish the difference on this.

Please help!

OK. You have the correct formula.
[tex]t = t_0 \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]​

Both the tower and the rocket are inertial. The rocket is also inertial, because it is moving at a constant velocity.

The formula works for any inertial observer. t0 is the duration of time for the inertial observer that is required for a clock moving at constant speed v to record a time difference of t.

For example. The rocket is moving at speed 0.6v relative to the tower, and the moving rocket clock records 10s. So you can use t0 for the time measured on the tower for how long it takes the rocket clock to record 10 seconds.

What confuses everyone at first is that the situation is completely symmetrical. You can use the same formula with t0 as the time measured on the rocket for the tower clock to record 10 seconds.

Try it... what answers do you get for the two questions?

Cheers -- sylas

How do I determine when the question is asking about the t knot or the t? This was something that I was trying to make sense of. I know I can solve it, but for the 10 s that was given, how do I know if the 10 s was the time for the "t" or for the "t knot"?
Please help explaining this to me.

gztiger said:
How do I determine when the question is asking about the t knot or the t? This was something that I was trying to make sense of. I know I can solve it, but for the 10 s that was given, how do I know if the 10 s was the time for the "t" or for the "t knot"?
Please help explaining this to me.

t0 is the actual time in the frame for the observer making a measurement or determination. t is the time recorded on a moving clock over the duration t0.

a. In the inertial frame where the tower is at rest, how long does it take the watch (on board the rocket) to register 10 s?

So, in this question, the t0 is the tower, and the t is on the rocket?

b. In the inertial frame where the rocket is at rest, how long does it take the clock in the tower to register 10s?

In this one, t0 is the rocket? and the t is clock in the tower?

T=?

[tex]
t = t_0 \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}
[/tex]
[tex]
t= 10s \sqrt {1-0.6}
[/tex]
[tex]
t= 10s \sqrt {0.4}
[/tex]
[tex]
t= 10s \sqrt {4*10^(-1)}
[/tex]
[tex]
t= 10s * 2 \sqrt {10}
[/tex]

[tex]
t_0= ?
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{t}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}} = t_0?
[/tex]
Is this the way how I solve for question b?

I tried to type out the equation for finding
[tex]
t_0
[/tex]
just can't fix it.

So, what i was trying to say is that, to find out t0, I would need to divide t over square root of 1-((v^2)/(c^2))
is that right?

Last edited:
gztiger in msg #7 said:

So, in this question, the t0 is the tower, and the t is on the rocket?

In this one, t0 is the rocket? and the t is clock in the tower?

Yes.

gztiger in msg #8 said:

T=?

[tex]
t = t_0 \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}
[/tex]
[tex]
t= 10s \sqrt {1-0.6}
[/tex]

At this point, you have two problems. You have forgotten to square the 0.6. And you have mixed up the t and t0. In msg #7 above, you noted correctly that for the first question where the rocket is moving, we have "the t0 is the tower, and the t is on the rocket". So the moving rocket, which registers 10 seconds, is t.

With substitution for a clock on the rocket measuring ten seconds, and a duration of time t0 for the tower, the equation should be
[tex]
10s = t_0 \sqrt {1-0.6^2}
[/tex]

Carry on from there. You won't need a calculator; the square root is an exact decimal fraction, and t0 will be the length of time passing on the tower for the rocket clock to register 10 seconds.

Cheers -- sylas

[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {1-0.6^2} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {1-0.36} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {.64} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0(.8) [/tex]
[tex] \frac {10s} {.8} = t_0 [/tex]
[tex] t_0 = 12.5s [/tex]

[tex] t= 10s \sqrt {1-0.6^2} [/tex]
[tex] t= 10 s (.8) [/tex]
[tex] t= 8s [/tex]

So, is this right now?

Last edited:
gztiger said:

[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {1-0.6^2} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {1-0.36} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0\sqrt {.64} [/tex]
[tex] 10s = t_0(.8) [/tex]
[tex] \frac {10s} {.8} = t_0 [/tex]
[tex] t_0 = 12.5s [/tex]

Part a., correct.

[tex] t= 10s \sqrt {1-0.6^2} [/tex]
[tex] t= 10 s (.8) [/tex]
[tex] t= 8s [/tex]

So, is this right now?

Part b, not correct. In this case, you are calculating in the rocket frame, so t0 is what you are calculating, using t = 10s for the moving tower. You should get the same result as in the first problem.

Most people find this really confusing. But the situation of the rocket and the tower is symmetrical. Each one concludes that the clock of the other is running slow. This is not a contradiction.

If you have two events that are separated from each other in time and space, different observers will have different notions of the distance between them, and of the time between them.

For example, in the tower frame, the tower clock reads 12.5 in the same instant that the rocket clock reads 10. So in the tower frame, the tower clock reads 10 well before the rocket clock reads 10.

In the rocket frame, the order of these events in time is reversed. In the rocket frame, the rocket clock reads 10 and then a while later the tower clock reads 10.

Cheers -- sylas

thank you sylas. Even though I'm still a little bit confuse, but I believe I will find a way to understand it. Thanks for your time. I really appreciate your time. Thanks again.

1. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which the laws of physics hold true without any acceleration or rotation. It is also known as a non-accelerating frame or a frame of reference.

2. Why is it important to find t in the inertial frame?

Finding t (time) in the inertial frame is important because it allows us to accurately measure the duration of an event without any external forces affecting the measurement. This helps in understanding the true nature of the event and its relationship with other physical phenomena.

3. How do you find t in the inertial frame?

To find t in the inertial frame, we must use the laws of physics and mathematical equations to calculate the time duration of an event. This involves understanding the motion and acceleration of objects in the frame of reference and using appropriate formulas to determine the time.

4. What are some examples of inertial frames?

Some examples of inertial frames include a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road, a spaceship traveling in deep space without any thrust, and a person standing still on the surface of the Earth. These frames are considered inertial because there is no acceleration or rotation present.

5. How does finding t in the inertial frame differ from finding t in a non-inertial frame?

In an inertial frame, finding t involves straightforward calculations using the laws of physics. However, in a non-inertial frame, the presence of acceleration or rotation can complicate the calculations and may require the use of additional concepts such as fictitious forces. This is because the laws of physics do not hold true in non-inertial frames.