1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find tan x

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find tan x if

[tex]\dfrac {\sin^2 x}{3} + \dfrac {\cos^2 x}{7} = \dfrac {-\sin(2x) + 1}{10}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Trigonometric identities.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried removing the cos squared on the LHS by using

[tex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x = 1 [/tex]

and then using

[tex] \sin^2 x = \dfrac {1 - \cos(2x)}{2} [/tex]

then using

[tex] \cos(2x) = (\cos x + \sin x)(\cos x - \sin x)[/tex]

Noticing the RHS equals

[tex](\sin x - \cos x)^2[/tex]

and factoring with what is now the LHS, would eventually give me an expression similar to

[tex] a\sin(2x) + b\cos(2x) = c [/tex]

where a,b,c are constants. If there is now a way to solve for any of sin(2x) or cos(2x), I can then get tan(2x) and hence, tanx.

This solution has been so long, that it all sounds very suspicious to me. I have a hunch there should be a much easier solution. Thanks for any help, but please, don't post a solution.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Your method looks okay. But if you are searching for a better one, you may consider dividing both sides by cos2(x), since it's trivial to see that cos(x) = 0 is not a solution to the equation.

It becomes:
    [tex]\frac{\tan ^ 2 x}{3} + \frac{1}{7} = -2 \frac{\tan x}{10} + \frac{1}{10 \cos ^ 2 (x)}[/tex]

[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{\tan ^ 2 x}{3} + \frac{1}{7} = - \frac{\tan x}{5} + \frac{1}{10} \left( 1 + \tan ^ 2 x \right)[/tex]

Can you go from here? :) Hint: It's a quadratic.

4. May 26, 2007 #3
    Ouch! That hurts. I didn't even think of dividing by (cosx)^2, otherwise I would have seen it right away. It was right in my face all the time:eek:. If it were a shark, I would be ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?