Find Rope Tension for Mountain Climber 695N

In summary, the conversation discusses a mountain climber who pauses to rest while crossing between two cliffs on a rope. The climber weighs 695 N and is closer to the left cliff than the right, resulting in different tensions in the left and right sides of the rope. The conversation then explores finding the tensions in the rope to the left and right of the climber, using the equation Wsin65+WSin80+W=0. Finally, an image is attached to help with the problem.
ny_aish
A mountain climber, in the process of crossing between two cliffs by a rope, pauses to rest. She weighs 695 N. As the drawing shows, (The angle at left is 65) she is closer to the left cliff than to the right cliff (Angle to the right is 80), with the result that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Find the tensions in the rope to the left and to the right of the mountain climber.

I tried Wsin65+WSin80+W=0 and worked my way out from there, it came out wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As which drawing shows? :)

Hmmm...i attached the image. I hope you can see it, & help me if its possible.

Attachments

• p4-102.gif
    p4-102.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 486
I've drawn you a picture. Try now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24201&stc=1&d=1268031892.gif

Note that i just named them the same, but F_rope is different for each rope.

Attachments

• rope-tension.gif
    rope-tension.gif
    3 KB · Views: 571

1. What is the purpose of finding rope tension for a mountain climber?

The purpose of finding rope tension for a mountain climber is to ensure the safety and stability of the climber while they are scaling a mountain. Rope tension is crucial in preventing falls and providing support for the climber.

2. How is rope tension calculated for a mountain climber?

Rope tension is calculated by using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the climber, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the climber. The mass and acceleration can be determined using the climber's weight and the angle of the slope they are climbing.

3. Why is it important to regularly check and adjust rope tension for a mountain climber?

Regularly checking and adjusting rope tension is important because it can change throughout the climbing process. As the climber moves and shifts their weight, the tension on the rope can increase or decrease. By checking and adjusting the tension, the climber can maintain a safe and stable climbing experience.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding rope tension for a mountain climber?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when finding rope tension for a mountain climber. It is important to use high-quality and properly rated ropes and equipment, as well as to have a backup system in case of a rope failure. Additionally, the tension should not be too tight as it can put unnecessary strain on the climber and the equipment.

5. How does environmental factors affect rope tension for a mountain climber?

Environmental factors such as wind, temperature, and humidity can affect rope tension for a mountain climber. Wind can create additional tension on the rope, while extreme temperatures can cause the rope to contract or expand, altering the tension. It is important to consider these factors and make necessary adjustments to maintain safe and appropriate rope tension for the climber.