1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the angle of inclination

1. Feb 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A physics student playing with an air hockey table (a frictionless surface) finds that if she gives the puck a velocity of 3.86 m/s along the length ( 1.79 m) of the table at one end, by the time it has reached the other end the puck has drifted a distance 2.40 cm to the right but still has a velocity component along the length of 3.86 m/s. She concludes correctly that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to relate velocity to force. The velocity is constant so all net force equations equal to zero. I have no clue how to really start.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2009 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

No there is a net force which pulls the puck to the right as it reaches the end of the table. The reason why the net force (gravity) doesn't affect the velocity of the puck is because it acts sideways to the velocity of travel of the puck, much like in circular motion.

4. Feb 21, 2009 #3
    If I set the coordinate system on the puck (which is on an incline plane), the force of gravity would be the only force acting on it in the x-direction, thus why it moves. Would it equal to zero or ma? It has a constant velocity in one direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook