Find Angle of 5kg Mass Suspended from Cord

In summary, to find the angle in this problem, you can use the equation Fnet=ƩFi=0 and take into account the horizontal force of 23N and the 5kg mass. Drawing a diagram with all the forces acting on the mass can help make solving the problem easier.
lcp1992
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
A 5kg mass is suspended from a cord. The mass is held as shown with a horizontal 23N force. Find the angle

Homework Equations

Fnet=ƩFi=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about the right way to find the angle but the variables given are force and the mass should I use the weight to find the angle? Is this a obtuse triangle?

Attachments

• DSC01466.jpg
    DSC01466.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing my professor told me when I had difficulty with these types of problems was to use components. I would recommend drawing a picture or diagram with all the forces acting on the mass, that should make it easier to solve.

What is the formula for finding the angle of a 5kg mass suspended from a cord?

The formula for finding the angle of a 5kg mass suspended from a cord is arctan(mg/T), where m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and T is the tension in the cord in newtons.

How do I determine the tension in the cord?

The tension in the cord can be determined by using the formula T=mg/sinθ, where m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle measured in radians.

What is the unit for the angle in this problem?

The angle in this problem is typically measured in radians. However, it can also be converted to degrees by using the formula π/180.

Can I use this formula for any object suspended from a cord?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object suspended from a cord, as long as the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and tension are known.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated angle?

The accuracy of the calculated angle can be affected by the precision of the measurements for mass and tension, as well as the accuracy of the value used for the acceleration due to gravity. In addition, any external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance, can also affect the accuracy of the calculated angle.