Can You Help Me Find Angle A? - Understanding Sine Calculation

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, The drawing shows an angle A that needs to be found. The book uses the equation sin A=\frac{530-160}{2\cdot505}=0,366, but the logic behind it is unclear. Some suggest it could be tan A instead. However, the book confirms it is sin A and provides more details on the drawing. The angle can be calculated using the formula sinA=\frac{185}{\sqrt{505^2+185^2}}. It is the same angle, no matter where it is calculated from. The process involves drawing a right triangle and using the tangent function to find the angle.
TSN79
The drawing below shows an angle A that I'm suppsosed to find. My book does this;

[tex]sin A=\frac{530-160}{2\cdot505}=0,366[/tex]

I am not able to follow the logic in how this would give me the sine of A...would love it if someone could help me out! :smile:

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 391
Mathematics news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
The drawing below shows an angle A that I'm suppsosed to find. My book does this;

[tex]sin A=\frac{530-160}{2\cdot505}=0,366[/tex]

I am not able to follow the logic in how this would give me the sine of A...would love it if someone could help me out! :smile:

Shouldn't it be tan A?

Are you sure they don't mean tanA? Thats what it seems like.

Not according to my book...

You are able to find the same angle in several places here, I just didn't draw them in, it might be calculated in reference to one of these places...?

No, that can't be it. You can calculate sin (A) based on this picture to be about .344. It will be the same no matter where you calculate it from. Either the picture or the equation is a misprint.

If the book says sin A. Then the picture must look like this:

Attachments

• real.JPG
    real.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 406
I've included some more details on the drawing now. I'm not sure, but would the angle on the right wheel also be A? The same number data still applies, the 505 is the difference between the two wheels axles.

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 392
According to the first picture, [tex]sinA=\frac{185}{\sqrt{505^2+185^2}}[/tex] ...

But it doesn't really matter if it's sin or tan, the angle is the same, but if one you could only tell me the process of your calculation to find it I'd really appreciate that...

In the first picture, draw a vertical radius in the upper part of the larger circle. Now extend the bottom line from angle A to meet this radius. This forms a right triangle. The leg adjacent to A has length 505. The length of the opposite side can be calculated because you can see that it is the larger radius minus the smaller radius. That is (1/2)530 - (1/2)160. The tangent of the angle is the opposite over the adjacent side, which, factoring out the (1/2), is the expression given.

1. What is Angle A and why is it important?

Angle A refers to a specific angle in a geometric shape or diagram. It is important because it helps to determine the overall shape and measurements of the object.

2. How do I find Angle A?

Finding Angle A requires knowledge of basic geometry principles, such as understanding angle relationships and using trigonometric functions. It often involves using the given measurements and equations to solve for the unknown angle.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for finding Angle A?

Yes, I can provide a step-by-step guide based on the specific geometry problem. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles involved in order to successfully find Angle A.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can help me find Angle A?

There are various tools and resources available, such as calculators or online geometry solvers, that can assist in finding Angle A. However, it is important to double check the results and understand the steps involved in the solution.

5. What should I do if I am still having trouble finding Angle A?

If you are having trouble finding Angle A, it is best to review the basic principles and equations related to angles and geometry. You can also seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or online resources for additional support.