1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=48757&stc=1&d=1341010084.gif

A cylinder of radious r=10cm and mass m=1Kg is attached to a spring of constant k=18N/m.
    In every moment the cylinder rolls without slipping over the inclined plane with an angle of 30º.
    The other extreme of the spring is attached to a fixed point O, as shown. If the cylinder is released from rest being the center of mass a distance L=43cm from point O, ¿which will be the angular speed of the cylinder when its center reaches a distance of L/2 from O?

The correct answer is 5,1 rad/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried with conservation of energy:

[tex] \displaystyle {{E}_{0}}=\frac{1}{2}k{{L}^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle {{E}_{f}}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega +\frac{1}{2}k\frac{{{L}^{2}}}{4}+mg\left( \frac{L}{2}\sin 30{}^\text{o} \right)+\frac{1}{2}m{{v}^{2}}[/tex]

I have two unknown quantities the angular and linear speed.

But the angular and linear aceleration are not constant! So how can I figure out the value of V just at point L/2?

UPDATE: So stupid I am, v=wR and now I do get:

w = 5.093459858 rad/s :)

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted