Antiderivative of a Complex Exponential Derivative

In summary: I= [[(u)+(1/u)]/[(u)-(1/u)]^2]dx because there's a u in the numerator can I combine that with the dx to make the du? I= [(u^-1)/[u-(u^-1)]^2] du No, you certainly can't do that- the "u" you are using is added, not multiplied What you could do that might help is multiply both numerator and denominator by u^2. Okay- so I'm going to look at the denominator for a second: I have to factor that out, right? to (u^2)-2-(1/u^2) I= (u
kemmy

Homework Statement

Find the antiderivative of each derivative:

dp/dx = [(e^x)+(e^-x)]/[((e^x)-(e^-x))^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't entirely figure out how to get myself started here.
I tired splitting up the derivative so that it's

[(e^x)/ (((e^x)-(e^-x))^2)] + [(e^-x)/(((e^x)-(e^-x))^2)]

[(e^x)((e^x)-(e^-x))^-2] + [(e^-x)((e^x)-(e^-x))^-2]

I think I should try substitution but I can't figure out what value to make u.

If anyone could help me, that would be fantastic. I don't think I'm going quite in the right direction.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This would be a good time to learn about hyperbolic function like sinh(x) and cosh(x), but you can also do it directly. Take u=e^x. So e^(-x)=1/u.

I would suggest thinking about sinh and cosh... and then relying on some trigonometric formulas. I am not good with these hyperbolic things.

edit: oops.. dick already mentioned it while I was solving using those sinhs...

Thanks. Technically, for this exam I'm studying for, we're not supposed to know those hyperbolic functions- so I've got to make use of substitution.

Okay, so:

I split the derivative into the two parts:(e^x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 and (e^-x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 and made u=e^x so du=(e^x)dx and e^-x=1/e^x

So the antiderivative of (e^x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 = [-1/u]-[(u^3)/3]

so now I'm looking for the antiderivative of (e^-x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2

So I end up with [(4(u^3))/3]-4ln|u|

Which makes the antiderivative=
[-1/u]-[(u^3)/3]+[(4(u^3))/3]-4ln|u|
then I change the u's back.

[-1/(e^x)]-[((e^x)^3)/3]+[(4((e^x)^3))/3]-4ln|(e^x)|

so I get [-1/(e^x)]-[(e^3x)/3]+[(4(e^3x))/3]-4x

it gives me: [-e^-x]-[e^3x]-x

...and the book tells me I'm still wrong.

Can anyone help me out??
thanks.

kemmy said:
Thanks. Technically, for this exam I'm studying for, we're not supposed to know those hyperbolic functions- so I've got to make use of substitution.

Okay, so:

I split the derivative into the two parts:(e^x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 and (e^-x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 and made u=e^x so du=(e^x)dx and e^-x=1/e^x

So the antiderivative of (e^x)[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^-2 = [-1/u]-[(u^3)/3]

You are already way off track. I don't see how you got that antiderivative. Just do the substitution without splitting anything up. Show the whole integral in terms of u before you go leaping forward.

kemmy said:
oh. okay

[tex]\int(e^{x}+e^{-x})(e^{x}-e^{-x})^{-2}dx[/tex]

let u=e[tex]^{x}[/tex]
du=e[tex]^{x}[/tex] ; du=dx

e[tex]^{-x}[/tex] =1/e[tex]^{x}[/tex]

okay so from there:

[tex]\int(u+1/u)(u-1/u)^{-2}du[/tex]

[tex]\int(u+1/u)(u^{-2}-u^{2})du[/tex]

That far at least is okay, I hope.

Stop there. (u-1/u)^(-2) is not equal to (u^(-2)-u^(2)). You can't distribute powers like that. You'll never get to the end correctly with algebra like that. And dx is not equal to du. du=e^(x)*dx=u*dx.

I told you. You are doing bad algebra. (u-1/u)^(-2) is not equal to (u^(-2)-u^(2)). If you don't know what to do with it, don't do anything with it.

Last edited:
I'll give you a hint. (u+1/u)=(u^2+1)/u. (u-1/u)^2=((u^2-1)/u)^2=(u^2-1)^2/u^2. I'm trying to write these expressions as polynomials in u so I can factor them and use partial fractions.

Dick said:
I'll give you a hint. (u+1/u)=(u^2+1)/u. (u-1/u)^2=((u^2-1)/u)^2=(u^2-1)^2/u^2. I'm trying to write these expressions as polynomials in u so I can factor them and use partial fractions.

Thanks Dick, you're really helping me right now. I have a lot of trouble with math and so I'm getting very turned around on this problem.

That said, I don't really understand your hint. I'm just getting really frustrated and confused with this.

I'm going to try to go through it step for step. Maybe you (or anyone) can point out to me
where that hint could help me?

so:
I'm looking for the antiderivative of [(e^x)+(e^-x)]/[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^2

and so u=e^x
du=(e^x)dx ; du=udx
e^-x = 1/e^x

okay... I= [[(u)+(1/u)]/[(u)-(1/u)]^2]dx
because there's a u in the numerator can I combine that with the dx to make the du?

I= [(u^-1)/[u-(u^-1)]^2] du

Okay- so I'm going to look at the denominator for a second:
I have to factor that out, right? to (u^2)-2-(1/u^2)

I= (1/u)/[(u^2)-2-(1/u^2)] du

can I multiply [(1/u^2)-(1/2)-u^2)] by (1/u) ?
is this closer to the right track?

I'm really sorry I sound so inept, I just don't understand and I am so confused!

Any help would be a life-saver. Thanks.

kemmy said:
Thanks Dick, you're really helping me right now. I have a lot of trouble with math and so I'm getting very turned around on this problem.

That said, I don't really understand your hint. I'm just getting really frustrated and confused with this.

I'm going to try to go through it step for step. Maybe you (or anyone) can point out to me
where that hint could help me?

so:
I'm looking for the antiderivative of [(e^x)+(e^-x)]/[(e^x)-(e^-x)]^2

and so u=e^x
du=(e^x)dx ; du=udx
e^-x = 1/e^x

okay... I= [[(u)+(1/u)]/[(u)-(1/u)]^2]dx
because there's a u in the numerator can I combine that with the dx to make the du?

I= [(u^-1)/[u-(u^-1)]^2] du
No, you certainly can't do that- the "u" you are using is added, not multiplied What you could do that might help is multiply both numerator and denominator by u2.

Okay- so I'm going to look at the denominator for a second:
I have to factor that out, right? to (u^2)-2-(1/u^2)

I= (1/u)/[(u^2)-2-(1/u^2)] du

can I multiply [(1/u^2)-(1/2)-u^2)] by (1/u) ?
is this closer to the right track?

I'm really sorry I sound so inept, I just don't understand and I am so confused!

Any help would be a life-saver. Thanks.

What's making you sound inept is obvious algebraic mistakes. Don't make them. I'll give you a target to shoot for. The integrand becomes (u^2+1)*du/(u^2-1)^2 if you play your cards right. That was supposed to be the easy part. Now you have to use partial fractions on that. Which also needs some algebra skills without making mistakes on every line. Try the first one first, ok?

Try the substitution

[tex] u=e^{x}-e^{-x} [/tex].

What is "du" equal to ??

bigubau said:
Try the substitution

[tex] u=e^{x}-e^{-x} [/tex].

What is "du" equal to ??

Good idea. Much less work.

Ah thank you. I finally managed to figure it out.

dp/dx = [(e^x)+(e^-x)]/[((e^x)-(e^-x))^2]

u=e^x - e^-x
du= e^x - e^-x (-1) dx
du= - e^x + e^-x dx

I= 1/u^2 (du)
I= u^-2 (du)
I= -1 u^-1
I= 1/-u + c

p= -1/( e^x - e^-x) + C

Thanks for all the suggestions and help- I definitely just hit a ridiculous mental block with this paticular question. Thanks again!

What is the antiderivative?

The antiderivative, also known as the indefinite integral, is the reverse operation of differentiation. It is the function that, when differentiated, gives back the original function.

Why is finding the antiderivative important?

Finding the antiderivative is important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, area under a curve, and optimization, among others.

How do you find the antiderivative?

The process of finding the antiderivative involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It also requires knowledge of basic integration rules and formulas.

What is the difference between the definite and indefinite integral?

The definite integral has upper and lower limits, while the indefinite integral does not. This means that the definite integral gives a specific numerical value, while the indefinite integral gives a general function.

Can all functions have an antiderivative?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative. Only continuous functions have an antiderivative. Discontinuous functions, such as the Dirac delta function, do not have an antiderivative.