1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the arc length of the given function

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1
    This is my last homework problem and I feel that I almost have it solved. The problem is as followed:

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{4-x^2} [/tex]

Find the arc length of the given function from x=0 to x=2.

I know that I am supposed to use this formula to solve for arclength:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + (f\prime(x))^2} dx[/tex]

Ok so I take the derivative of

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{4-x^2} [/tex]

and I get:

[tex] f\prime(x) =\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

I then plug this into the equation get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + (\frac{-x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}) ^2} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{1 + \frac{x^2}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

I get stuck here because I can't integrate this. I can't use any integral tables and I even try some algebraic manipulation inside of the square root and get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{\frac{4}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

Any help? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    Well, if [tex]f(x)=\arcsin (x) \Rightarrow f'(x)= \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

Then .....
  4. Aug 3, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Visit integrals.com and enter Sqrt[4/(4-x^2)]
    Don't just take the answer [In addition, remember it's just a computer.]
    ... learn from the answer to figure out how you could have gotten it yourself.

The answer has an (x/2) in it. Hmmm. maybe a substitution or two is in order.
  5. Aug 3, 2005 #4
    you can break it down into partial fractions
  6. Aug 3, 2005 #5
    i second the inverse trig antiderivative!
  7. Aug 3, 2005 #6
    yeah...but then it's a problem of looking up integration tables again, and not necessarily finding anything, either.
  8. Aug 3, 2005 #7
    Alright I think I got the solution. Is this right?

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \sqrt{\frac{4}{4-x^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{0}^{2} \frac{\sqrt{4}}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

[tex] 2\int_{0}^{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex]

then using an integral table.....

[tex] 2\arcsin{\frac{x}{2}} |_{0}^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 2\arcsin{1} [/tex]

Does that look right?
  9. Aug 4, 2005 #8
    well done iggy
    well done
  10. Aug 4, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tninking in terms of formulas or looking things up in a table, you miss most of what's interesting about this problem.

Looking at something like [tex] 2\int_{0}^{2} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} [/tex] (DON'T forget the "dx"), the first thing that should come to mind is a trig substitution (I hate integral tables!). Let x= 2sin(θ) so that dx= 2 cos(θ) and 4- x2= 4- 4sin2(θ)= 2(1- sin2(θ))= 2 cos(θ). When x= 0, 0= 2sin(θ) so θ= 0. When x= 2, 2= 2sin(θ) so θ= [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. The integral becomes [tex]2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta[/tex]. That's pretty easy, isn't it!

Yet another way to do this is to put the formula in parametric equations. [tex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2} [/tex] is (almost) the same thing as y2= 4- x2 or x2+ y2= 4, a circle of radius 2.
    Parametric equations for that are x= 2cos(t), y= 2 sin(t) where t ranges from 0 to [tex]\frac{pi]{2}[/tex]. [tex]ds= \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+ (\frac{dy}{dt})^2} = 2dt[/tex]. x goes from 0 to 2 as t goes from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] so the arc length is [tex]2 \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}dt[/tex] which is also pretty darn easy!

Finally, it should be obvious that you are talking about 1/4 of a circle of radius 2. Find the circumference and divide by 4.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?