1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the area of the region

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    This problem has me stumped because I can't figure out how to find the area of the region. I got an integral, but I don't know how to evaluate it. Here's the problem:

Find the area of the region bounded by the graph of [tex]y^2 = x^2 - x^4[/tex].

I solved the equation for y and got [tex]y = \pm\sqrt{x^2 - x^4}[/tex].

If I graph it, it looks like a bow tie with four symmetrical regions, so I decided to find the area of the top-right region. Here's the integral I came up with:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{x^2 - x^4} dx[/tex].

That's all well and good I guess, but I have no idea how to evaluate that integral! As far as I know, I don't yet have the calculus knowledge to solve that type of integral. Should I solve for x and put the integral in terms of y?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you consider factoring:
    [tex]\sqrt{x^2- x^4}= \sqrt{x^2(1- x^2)}= x\sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex]
    Looks like an easy substitution now.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3
    Duh! That was it! I did that and got an area of 2/3 for one segment, so I multiplied by 4 and got a total area of 8/3 for the whole thing. Does that sound right? Thanks for the help!

5. Jul 19, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you take into account the factor of 1/2 in [itex]-\frac{1}{2}du= xdx[/itex]?

6. Jul 22, 2006 #5
    Sorry about the delayed response; I was gone for a few days. I kind of rushed through it and must have skipped the factor. So the area would be 4/3 then, correct?

7. Jul 22, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{x^2 - x^4} dx= \int_0^1 \sqrt{1- x^2}x dx[/tex]

Let [itex]u= 1- x^2[/itex] so [itex]du= -2x dx[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{1}{2}du= x dx[/itex]. When x= 0, u= 1 and when x= 1, u= 0 so the integral becomes
    [tex]-\frac{1}{2}\int_1^0 u^{\frac{1}{2}}du= \int_0^1 u^{\frac{1}{2}}du= \frac{1}{2}\fra{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}\right}_{u=0}^1= \frac{1}{3}[/tex]
    Each segment has area 1/3 so all 4 have area 4/3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?