1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the arithmetic mean

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If four distinct points on the curve [itex]y=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex] are collinear, then find the arithmetic mean of x-coordinates of the aforesaid points.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the four points mentioned must be the roots of the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Graph the function. It only has one real root.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    Are you sure? I thought for any polymonial, complex roots come in even numbers, so that quartics have 0, 2 or 4 real roots (some may be repeated, mind)

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

There are 2 real roots.

6. Nov 1, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you mean that for f(x) = 2x^4+7x^3+3x-5, the four points (x1,f(x1)), (x2,f(x2)),(x3,f(x3)), (x4,f(x4)) lie on a straight line. If you plot f(x) you will see that the places where you can have 4 collinear points on the curve y = f(x) are quite limited (although there are still infinitely many possibilities). I don't see why the roots of f(x) have much to say about this problem.

RGV

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. Nov 1, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume that since this thread is posted in the Precalculus Mathematics section, you are not to use calculus.

Is that correct?

8. Nov 1, 2012 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

A liitle bit of it won't do any harm.

9. Nov 1, 2012 #8

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I plotted the graph and it comes out that there are only 2 real roots. So the points mustn't be the roots. Then what are those 4 points?

10. Nov 1, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Inflection points for [itex]y=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex] occur where the second derivative is zero.

These occur at (-7/4, -3713/128) and at (0, -5).

The line passing through these points has the equation, y = (439/32)x-5 .

Subtracting (439/32)x-5 from your function gives, [itex]\displaystyle y=2 x^4+7 x^3-\frac{343}{32}x\ .[/itex]

Here's the graph of that from WolframAlpha.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52544&stc=1&d=1351829819.gif

Of course two of the zeros are at the inflection points. You can then find the other two for the remaining quadratic.

Attached Files:

11. Nov 1, 2012 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The four points are on a straight line y=ax+b, and are points of the curve at the same time. That means: [itex]ax+b=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex]
    The x coordinates of the collinear points are roots of the rearranged equation [itex]2x^4+7x^3+(3-a)x-5-b=0[/itex], and the equation has four real roots.

You need the geometric mean of the x coordinates, which is the sum of roots divided by 4. And you know the relation between roots and coefficients.

ehild

12. Nov 2, 2012 #11

utkarshakash

Gold Member

You are a genius. Thanks for helping. There was no need of those calculus methods which were extremely complicated.

13. Nov 2, 2012 #12

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Can you please help me on the other question of mine posted by the title
    'Find least value of a'?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook